Stock for service rifle AR

mtlucas0311

I just got my WOP upper in the mail but realized I don't have a buttstock on the rifle. It's a Colt "tactical Elite" lower, I need a tube, buffer, spring, stock and screws. I would prefer mil-spec, unless there's a reason to go comercial. Who should I get these items from? does it really matter? also, I'd like to have the storage compartment in the stock and metal buttplate. It's going to only be used for service rifle matches (it's a CMP upper).
Thanks, Mike

I can't think of any advantages, and only one disadvantage to going Commercial over a Mil-Spec buffer tube. A Commercial tube's threads won't fully engage the internal threads on the lower. There should be plenty to chose from in either category though not all companies make both commercial and mil-spec stocks.

Add: At first I used to favor the commercial tubes as their greater diameter would seem to be stiffer than mil-spec but I've since changed.

If you intend to use this for Service Rifle matches I'd go with something you can slide some lead weight into and worry less about which buffer tube you get. I believe Bushmaster sells both the lead weight and the SR A2 stock that it can be loaded into....it really helps to stabilize the rifle but you're going to need to start lifting weights for off-hand!

CMP sets the guidelines for service rifles. I'd go with the Mil Spec.

I also agree with the above comment on the storage in the butt stock. My White Oak Service rifle upper was quite muzzle heavy and I had to put some lead shot in the butt stock to balance it out. But its a shooter.

Be sure to check the CMP web site regarding the rules of the service rifle make up before shelling out money for the stock.

Thanks guys, I wanted to make sure there wasn't a good reason to go comercial over mil spec. When Ilook these things up online, nobody specifies plastic or metal hinge, buttplate etc. Does "mil spec" imply material and dimensional standards or is it limited to dimensions? Anybody purchased a buttstock assembly from a given distributer or manufacturer that has the desirable features (metal, mil spec, storage compartment etc)? Price? I just don't want to buy one and get one with plastic parts, then have to replace individual pieces.

Just about all the manufactors make service rifle legel butt assemblys. So, Rock River, DPMS, Bushmaster, Olymipic, etc, etc. will have one.

Good luck finding one now with all the panic buying going on.

Back