Stock For 0.22 manufacturing using CNC machine .

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfaqad

Dear Folks ,
I am interested n manufacturing Stock made on CNC machine for 0.22 caliber ,need sanded ,polished , lacquered ( premium finished )li I have physical samples but dont know how to start , I am based in Turkey , shall I used AUTOCAD expert or any other advice , shall I buy machine ( what type ) ,
I can also start in USA ( Fortworth ) , Do I need special license for export .I am willing to pay the fees to enable me to start ASAP.,
Is there a machine for finishing , .e polish etc
thanks in advance .

To the best of my knowledge--unless it is for your own personal use-- if you are retail selling stocks for firearms you will need a FFL manufacturer's license--and in addition you will likely need an import/export license going either way from either country.

thanks for the info, yes that's correct , I need license and export license as well , its a wholesale , I am not sure where to start , there are many machines , I have physical samples as well for the Gun Stock , but how to convert the to make an exact copy , how to bring to premium finish , etc

You are asking for information about many different things, running a business, import/export of a product, and how to make and how to finish the product, a wooden gunstock.

I cannot give you any business or legal advice, not my area of expertise, sorry.

I can help you a little bit with this..
...but how to convert the to make an exact copy...

I am assuming you have examples of the stock and want to make copies....

for that, do an Internet search for "gunstock Pantograph machines", to get you started understanding what machinery you will need to replicate wooden gunstocks.

ashfaqad said:
I am interested n manufacturing Stock made on CNC machine for 0.22 caliber ...
Can you be more specific? .22 caliber describes an ammunition caliber, not a firearm. Over the course of the past 100+ years there have been -- and are -- hundreds of different firearms (handguns and rifles) that fire .22 caliber ammunition. Are you hoping to manufacture replacement stocks for all of them, some of them, or only one of them?

Turkey has a very robust firearms manufacturing industry, and various companies in Turkey make shotguns with wood stocks. My suggestion would be to start by consulting those companies and asking how they make and finish their wood stocks.

My guess the OP has a home CNC or duplicator and wants to know how to make some bucks with it--I've had the same thought(s).

thanks for the info, yes that's correct , I need license and export license as well , its a wholesale , I am not sure where to start , there are many machines , I have physical samples as well for the Gun Stock , but how to convert the to make an exact copy , how to bring to premium finish , etc
I would look at all the alternatives already on the market--what is it that's new or otherwise competitive that you are bringing to the market? How many versions are you going to be willing to make depending on action type? .22's are no less cheap than any centerfire if you're going into anything other than budget 10-22 production--an already pretty crowded budget market segment.

Dear Folks ,
I am interested n manufacturing Stock made on CNC machine for 0.22 caliber ,need sanded ,polished , lacquered ( premium finished )li I have physical samples but dont know how to start , I am based in Turkey , shall I used AUTOCAD expert or any other advice , shall I buy machine ( what type ) ,
I can also start in USA ( Fortworth ) , Do I need special license for export .I am willing to pay the fees to enable me to start ASAP.,
Is there a machine for finishing , .e polish etc
thanks in advance .

Not to denigrate, but I'm reading this as you having made a stock by hand, then having a lightbulb moment about automated manufacture and US distribution.

Very roughly speaking, I see two economically viable US rimfire markets. The first is parts made by the thousands for 10/22s. These need to be cheap and eye-catching because everyone is in that market. The other is a market of niches either because the firearm is rare or the customer willing to pay a lot is rare. There are a few manufacturers who execute a nifty idea that meets a previously unmet need in the market, but that is also rare. An example, Klinsky stocks for CZ rifles aren't very cheap, but there are a lot of CZ 452/455/457s floating around and a few people who have wanted to scratch that itch over the last decade.

If your product is not inexpensive, a lack of precision in manufacturing will be fatal. People who spend a lot on rimfire firearms tend to be older with lots of time on their hands. Put defective examples into that community, and you'll have problems.

Import, manufacture, sales, distribution and organizing the US entity that will handle all that are serious enough questions that the first fees you will pay will be to attorneys with whom you speak about getting the foundation set.

You are asking for information about many different things, running a business, import/export of a product, and how to make and how to finish the product, a wooden gunstock.

I cannot give you any business or legal advice, not my area of expertise, sorry.

I can help you a little bit with this..

I am assuming you have examples of the stock and want to make copies....

for that, do an Internet search for "gunstock Pantograph machines", to get you started understanding what machinery you will need to replicate wooden gunstocks.
thank you sir , I am looking into Pantograph machine, for quality grade finish ,do I have to use manual labor for sanding , Polish , ill fly out to Konya , Turkey next week to meet some Turkish manufacturer as well , I have 300 Stock order , then its 1500 per month ,but I dont have an iota of experience , so thanks again for advice ,

Not to denigrate, but I'm reading this as you having made a stock by hand, then having a lightbulb moment about automated manufacture and US distribution.

Very roughly speaking, I see two economically viable US rimfire markets. The first is parts made by the thousands for 10/22s. These need to be cheap and eye-catching because everyone is in that market. The other is a market of niches either because the firearm is rare or the customer willing to pay a lot is rare. There are a few manufacturers who execute a nifty idea that meets a previously unmet need in the market, but that is also rare. An example, Klinsky stocks for CZ rifles aren't very cheap, but there are a lot of CZ 452/455/457s floating around and a few people who have wanted to scratch that itch over the last decade.

If your product is not inexpensive, a lack of precision in manufacturing will be fatal. People who spend a lot on rimfire firearms tend to be older with lots of time on their hands. Put defective examples into that community, and you'll have problems.

Import, manufacture, sales, distribution and organizing the US entity that will handle all that are serious enough questions that the first fees you will pay will be to attorneys with whom you speak about getting the foundation set.
well , I came across some one who needed these stocks owing to the reason , the customers wants to use the older models Stock instead of new ones , but I dd met few crafts men in DARRA ADAM KHEL ( PAKISTAN ) who are making by hand , but I dont want to risk errors in design , hence joined the group to ask for expert opinion , the order is for 300 pcs ,

OP=Original Poster=ashfaqad

If I were in Turkey, I'd look for CNC and finishing services in Turkey where I'd have a better chance of monitoring the result. Horror stories about Pakistan and China abound, but US manufacturers also get things wrong.

If I were a euro supplier, I'd ask the US customer/distributor to iron out the import process. If your first batch sits with customs for a couple of months or there is a surprising fee, the problem will manifest here.

ashfaqad said:
where are you located , and may you explain what's OP home CNC.
Stagpanther is in the United States. Beyond that, it is generally considered impolite to ask for more details unless a person volunteers that information.

"OP" is an Internet abbreviation for Original Poster -- the person who started a discussion. In this case ... that's you.

"home CNC": CNC is Computer Numeric Controlled, which is the type of equipment that most firearms manufacturers use today. A home CNC is a small lathe or milling machine that has a CNC controller attached to it. Such a machine might be adequate for making gun stocks -- I don't know. I do know that an industrial grade CNC machine costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, so you can't justify the cost of such equipment to make 300 rifle stocks.

Stagpanther is in the United States. Beyond that, it is generally considered impolite to ask for more details unless a person volunteers that information.

"OP" is an Internet abbreviation for Original Poster -- the person who started a discussion. In this case ... that's you.

"home CNC": CNC is Computer Numeric Controlled, which is the type of equipment that most firearms manufacturers use today. A home CNC is a small lathe or milling machine that has a CNC controller attached to it. Such a machine might be adequate for making gun stocks -- I don't know. I do know that an industrial grade CNC machine costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, so you can't justify the cost of such equipment to make 300 rifle stocks.
thanks, yes the reason I ask was I live in Fortworth , and you mention manufacturing so I intend the same, that's why I ask about your city , again thanks for your reply.

I live in Fortworth.

You should talk to an attorney who will sit down with you, ask a lot of questions, and discuss with you what you need.

Some people think that attorneys write that advice on the internet because we don't want to give away the product for free, but that's not why you'll see "talk to a lawyer, not the internet" so often.

We see people regularly who took advice from the internet and either got bad advice or didn't understand it. When we see these people it is usually because they had a small problem that has become a bigger problem.

ashfaqad said:
thanks, yes the reason I ask was I live in Fortworth , and you mention manufacturing so I intend the same, that's why I ask about your city , again thanks for your reply.
In your first post, you wrote that you are based in Turkey. Now you write that you live in Fort Worth.

I am confused.

You also have not mentioned what type or types of firearm you hope to manufacture wood stocks for.

People on this forum generally try to be helpful, but it is difficult to provide any potentially helpful advice when most of the parameters are unknown, and the known information changes during the discussion.

If I understand this correctly, you want to make 300 high-grade wood stocks for one (unnamed) .22 caliber rifle. Here are my thoughts:

There is a U.S. company called Boyd's Hardwood Gun Stocks that makes and sells stocks for just about every rifle imaginable. I own a Marlin 795 in .22 caliber, so I looked up a wood stock for that rifle. The cost for what I would choose is $175. If we assume that Boyd's sells their stocks for twice the cost of manufacture, their profit would be $87.50 per stock. The total profit for 300 stocks would be $26,250.

That's not enough to make the down payment on an industrial CNC machine. And if you hope to manufacture these stocks, you will also need to buy or rent a building (or space in a building) to set up your operation.

I don't wish to discourage you, but from the little information you have provided I don't see how you can possibly do this at an affordable price and have any hope of making a decent profit for your investment of time and money.

In your first post, you wrote that you are based in Turkey. Now you write that you live in Fort Worth.

I am confused.

You also have not mentioned what type or types of firearm you hope to manufacture wood stocks for.

People on this forum generally try to be helpful, but it is difficult to provide any potentially helpful advice when most of the parameters are unknown, and the known information changes during the discussion.

If I understand this correctly, you want to make 300 high-grade wood stocks for one (unnamed) .22 caliber rifle. Here are my thoughts:

There is a U.S. company called Boyd's Hardwood Gun Stocks that makes and sells stocks for just about every rifle imaginable. I own a Marlin 795 in .22 caliber, so I looked up a wood stock for that rifle. The cost for what I would choose is $175. If we assume that Boyd's sells their stocks for twice the cost of manufacture, their profit would be $87.50 per stock. The total profit for 300 stocks would be $26,250.

That's not enough to make the down payment on an industrial CNC machine. And if you hope to manufacture these stocks, you will also need to buy or rent a building (or space in a building) to set up your operation.

I don't wish to discourage you, but from the little information you have provided I don't see how you can possibly do this at an affordable price and have any hope of making a decent profit for your investment of time and money.
sorry for confusion ,
I own commercial land in Fortworth and Denizli (Turkey)

MODEL : CZ 452 CAL. .22
MODEL : CZ 527 CAL 223

150 pcs each ,

the web site you mentioned has both , but my target price is 100 $ , now as a newbie , es its going be very difficult at first , the buyer is willing to place 1000 to 1500 pcs order for Stock every ,month , hence the need for own CNC machine , I have limited funds , but when ii google it the machine cost is 12000$ to 40000 $ with 6 rotors , but yes my questions are not clear before , thanks for the web site and replies ,shall I order this 300 pcs from the company you advised or start with my own , how many people would be enough for finishing , that I dont know as well

shall I order this 300 pcs from the company you advised or start with my own , how many people would be enough for finishing , that I dont know as well
Those are questions you will have to research on your own.

We are not here to advise anyone on how to start, fund, or run a business beyond some basic, and not necessarily accurate, advice.

ashfaqad said:
the machine cost is 12000$ to 40000 $ with 6 rotors
Is that a commercial machine? That price range sounds like a hobby machine.

A good friend of mine is a field service technician for a company that makes, sells, installs and services industrial-grade CNC machines. Their machines cost from the hundreds of thousands of dollars to a top of $2 million (yes, two MILLION dollars).

Is that a commercial machine? That price range sounds like a hobby machine.

A good friend of mine is a field service technician for a company that makes, sells, installs and services industrial-grade CNC machines. Their machines cost from the hundreds of thousands of dollars to a top of $2 million (yes, two MILLION dollars).
yes , the vendor sent this , based in Konya turkey , I have another question , as there are third party manufacturers in USA for CZ stock , and others , What would be the procedure for manufacturing licensing STOCK famous brands , this way the Original Company will share design data as well ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back