Stock and pistol grip...love it or hate it?

Kvon2

Keep in mind we are talking about WITH a stock.

Do you guys think it's a good feature or just hard on the wrist?

I put one on a SuperNova and ended up not liking it. It wasn't hard on the wrist. Just seemed to make the gun more cumbersome and slower to deploy.

I think they're awkward - and feel clumsy on a shotgun.....I wouldn't buy a shotgun with one.

( but i'm a traditionalist ----- with 50 yrs of of shotgunning experience - wing shooting and clay targets / but back in the 70's when we still thought tactical shotguns were useful - I never liked them then either )....

Shooting a shotgun with a typical stock is natural and smooth to me...

If all I was going to do is sit with my back against a tree waiting for Mr. Tom - and thus using it like a rifle, I MIGHT consider it. Otherwise, it is not conducive to making as smooth a swing on a moving target.

It is interesting. As a teenager I played a lot of competitive airsoft and I had a pistol grip stock shotgun. Obviously the recoil was a huge missing factor but I found the ergonomics very comfortable of the full size replica. I guess I need to get my hands on one and try it for myself.

It has more to do with what you're used to and what you're doing with the shotgun than anything else. Really isn't much different than say an AR. Isn't always about hunting either. Very much doubt it'll ever be covered in a hunter's safety course though.
"...Slower to mount..." Different carry. Think battle rifle 'ready' carry.

Why? It is a great way, especially with a SxS, to swing on fast moving targets following unpredictable flight paths

The traditional english straight stock ...and many of today's Over Unders ....are very different / but this Browning shows the traditional english stock.

http://www.browning.com/products/fi...ent-production/citori-superlight-feather.html

I do not like the traditional english straight stocked guns at all.../ and much favor what has become known as a modified pistol grip stock on a lot of Over Unders... like on the Browning 725 Skeet with adj comb....

http://www.browning.com/products/fi...on/citori-725-skeet-with-adjustable-comb.html
-------------
While the Browning 725 series Citori ...has a "modified pistol grip with a palm swell".... I do not think it is the pistol grip the OP was talking about on the gun he was looking at....

I'm assuming its the pistol grip commonly found on a lot of tactical style shotguns....like the Benelli M-4 shotgun with a pistol grip..

https://www.google.com/search?q=ben...=U0MyV_3rD8L0jwOIiK3QCg#imgrc=GM4qUdiRj91k0M:
----------------
But I might be wrong....

Last edited:
"Pistol grip" used to mean a stock like seen on nearly all modern sporting clays and trap shotguns. If you were to remove the part of the stock that rests against your shoulder, what you have left is the traditional plowhandle stock of a muzzle loading pistol.
So the question should be "do you prefer the plowhandle pistol grip of old dueling pistols and single action Colts, or do you prefer the sawhandle pistol grip of Lugers and 1911's."

Dear god, who would even dream of shooting trap with a pistol grip shotgun!:D

792253d95f56b79b2a3929fbfe4ae0d0.jpg

That Ljutic was ahead of its time.............

Then you have the "glove grip stock", which seems to border on a vertical pistol grip:

iu

I guess it's just the times. Today when they say "pistol grip" what people really mean is a "tactical" style stock, like an AR-15 rifle has, not the traditional pistol grip used on nearly all modern trap, skeet, and sporting clays shotguns, not to mention bolt action hunting rifles.

Straight or semi-pistol grip stocks allow you to move your hand back for pulling the back trigger on a double trigger double barrel.

most older winchester and marlin lever action rifles and carbines have straight grip butt stocks, things started to change after ww-1, with many things changing with the sporting firearms the american hunters wanted. i have two straight grip shotguns, a older browning double BSS sporter and a newer browning O/U upland special and have had no problems using in the field or clays games. eastbank.

pistol grip

I read where the shotgun could be better supported, aimed in, as in waiting for a gobbler to present a shot, while using a pistol grip. As I've spent more than just a few agonizing minutes waiting for Ol' wartface to to do just that, I though I'd look in to the business, came up with a Choate Pistol grip /tactical number for the trusty 870 and went turkey hunting.

On the pistol grip, the hand does seem to fall into a more natural position, and the wrist is not "cranked" forward as with a conventional or straight stock. I do believe the gun can be supported/aimed in, at the ready, more easily, for longer periods of time. In fact, I'm sure of it, for me, ....bamaboy too. The boy killed his first two toms using my 870 with the Choate on it. I killed my first one for that season with it too, .......then I took it off.

What persuaded me to go back to the traditional stock was several reasons:
-the dang thing did not sling easily,and gobber hunting is much about walking, usually with the gun slung. Seems like the pistol grip was constanly prodding me at about the kidneys, no matter how I slung the shotgun
-on anything but a stationary, fixed shot, I had trouble swinging the gun, it just did not feel natural. Much like BigJimP and others described, the gun did not seem as versatile, and my brain could not get my hands to do right.
-finally, and for this as much as anything, with 3" turkey loads, recoil caused the gun/comb to climb more, and I got a dang bruise on the cheekbone. Bamaboy did not have this trouble, but his face is slimmer (he's slimmer too!!!) and he was using 2.75" mags, not the big 3" numbers. But I've never been bit like that with a traditional stock. I suspect that my thumb over the top of the conventional stock/grip helps control the upward climb.

Me, either - don't like a pistol grip on a shotgun.
Especially for a pump.

I am the exact opposite, I want a pistol grip on my stocks, I never liked the straight grip English style stocks.

On the other hand, if you are talking about a separate, protruding AR type pistol grip, such as found on folding stock and "tacticool" guns (and now I suspect the OP is, despite not having said so...)

then, no. Not on a sporting shotgun.

Back