Stippling on polymer frame

Just thinking out loud here, but you could probably achieve a nice uniform stipple effect by masking off and shot-blasting...

Get yourself an electric engraving pen.

The same tool you would use to write your D.L.# on your TV or stereo. I bought a Dremel version because of its 5-step adjustable depth of penetration. Put on some eye and ear protection, just like at the range.:) Mask off the part you want to texture with duct tape, because the plastic debris comes off in a fine dust.

Work on the lowest setting, because you can always go over it at a higher(deeper)setting if you want a rougher texture. Start in the middle of the space you are working on, and practice holding a straight edge. Then you won't risk a run-over at the borders. You can also experiment with holding the tip at various angles, and perpendicular to the surface. I tend to work it in overlapping circles. Or, work in horizontal lines, then cross back over it with veticals. Be sure you check it by rotating the part under the light you are using to make sure you are getting an even coverage.

Lastly, a brass toothbrush breaks loose the 'cling-ons' and evens out the final surface. On the guns I've textured, the plastic looked lghter in color afterward, but soon darkened back to the original color.

Before you go and do a permenant stippling job on the frame try some rough tape that is usually applied to stairs and such to give a non skid surface. I got a couple pieces from my nephew, he uses it on his skateboard.

Just keep in mind that what you are considering will void the warranty. The folks at HK keep a box full of the frames they have had to replace after somebody "worked on them" just to show the students in their armourer's class what not to do.

Back