Stinky Salmon Dog Treats

laea7777

Hello.

I made the mistake of putting some Thinkers (gingko biloba laced salmon dog treats) in my backpack. She loves those things and I thought they would be good to have in case she got off the leash and I was trying to entice her to come back. But, the bag opened up and now a lot of gear I was planning to take hunting (fire starter, GPS, headlamp, backpack) smells like bad salmon. I call them Stinkers, because they smell nasty and I've since gotten rid of them because they make her fart something vicious. But, the smell remains. When I where my headlamp I can smell it. Even a packet of tissues that was in there stinks up my hands and face when I blow my nose.

Since stinky salmon is exactly what you don't want to smell like if you're anywhere where there could possibly be a bear around, do you have any suggestions as to how to get rid of that smell? I'd hate to have to replace all that gear, and I'd hate even more to be... you know, mauled or eaten by a bear.

I've washed the backpack with unscented soap and that seems to have worked, but I'm hesitant to toss the GPS and headlamp into the washing machine.

Something with acid in it.......tomato juice or lemon, that sort of thing.

It works on our hands in the market and will do the same on clothes. Whether it's safe on your gear is a question though.

Beyond that I do wonder if what you or I might call scent free would register the same with giant hungry bad tempered raccoons? Not something I'd want to be part of the testing crew on.................

I'll second what bswiv stated.

Something acidic.

Had a beagle get sprayed by a skunk. A tomato juice bath was the only way we could get the smell out of her.

You may also try some of the hunting 'no scent' sprays by spraying some on a rag and wiping components down.

Hydrogen Peroxide. I don't have a clue if it will work on Salmon odor but it sure works on cat urine. Don't ask! Do a test area first just to be sure.

The formula I used for cat urine was two fold. The first was half Hydrogen Peroxide and half water. Pour it on and let it set for half an hour or longer then suck it up with a wet vac. The second was to get rid of the cat. We didn't need to replace the carpet and never replaced the cat. Voila! End of problem

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Removal_of_Skunk_Odor/Removing_Odor

Might try

Baking soda, it should absorb the smell from the electronics without getting them wet. Or at least it should. I've only ever used it to absorb odors from things like gym bags and running shoes. But the concept holds true. At least I think it does and that is all that matters.:D

I'll sure go along with the baking soda. I had a refrigerator get turned off accidentally and a bunch of meat rotted. After two or three washings and several days in the sun, there was still some "aroma". Plugged it in with a bunch of baking soda sprinkled everywhere and it was restored to normal use.

I got a bottle of Salmon Oil for my dogs last year and it leaked into the fabric on my passenger seat. I tried baking soda, Fabreez, vinegar, and contemplated an exorcism.

The best solution turned out to be coffee grounds.

Back