Stiff Galco Pocket Holster--Suggestions?

Jetfire

I have a Galco front pocket horsehide holster for my S&W 640-1 .357 (model PH158).

I am pretty new to holsters and this is my first one constructed of leather.

It seems like the holster prints a lot because it is very stiff. Wearing it around at home has molded it somewhat to my leg, though it is still rather stiff and the outline is obviously a holster...not that much better than an outline of a gun.

I have heard horsehide tends to be stiffer, but is this normal? Am I just being too impatient and need to wear it more to have it further mold to the contour of my thigh (where it would rest if placed in my pocket)? Do I need to do something to it to make it softer? It is the holster as a whole that I am concerned about...not the fit of the gun in the holster.

Thanks!

You may be overly self conscious about the holster printing.
Many who are new to concealed packing are.

The question is not whether you can tell if you are printing.
It is ¿ Would an ordinary person know ?

My keys print. My inhalors print. My ID holder prints. etc.

My guns print......but not identifiable as guns to most.

Sam

Perhaps...

My position depends much more than when carrying a mousegun.

Attachments

• ten.jpg
    ten.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 136
Jetfire

C R SAM gave you a very good response, you have a POCKET FULL !!
I looked at all you photos, and I think the holster is doing a very good job. There is no MAGIC in any holster, that will make it appear as if you have nothing in your pocket. As CR SAM says," his keys print"
The holster WILL get better with time, and hopefully, so will your concept of pocket carry.
:) :)

Thanks for the response guys. I guess I just needed to hear somebody tell me that my expectations were unreasonable! If only there were a magic holster...

Appears as if you are carrying a TV remote controller in your pocket. Doesn't look like a pistola.

If I didn't know specifically what you had in your pocket, I would have guessed it was your eyeglass holder.

and my first thought was, "Oh, he just shifted his wallet to his front pocket".

Another way to think about it...when's the last time you looked at someone's front pants pocket when out and about?

If you're still uncomfortable with the thought that you might print noticeably, wear something to distract and divert attention: around your neck, in your shirt pocket, or anywhere else on your person to draw attention away from your pants pocket.

I wouldn't be surprised if I did the wrong thing, but what I did with my Galco front pocket holster when I thought it wasn't discreet enough was spray it with a spraybottle of water and fold it in half vertically for a while (I think I watched a tv for a few hours while holding on to it) until it stays bent. Then fitting my 642 in it wasn't a problem and it wrapped around my thigh better.
Just a thought and it worked for me.

Probably with time it will conform itself to your leg. In the meantime think CELLPHONE. As Sam said, most people are NOT looking.

Actually, it looks like it's doing a pretty good job. Most people will assume it's a phone if they even notice at all.

Just curious, how does it fit the gun? Do you have any problems with the holster drawing with the gun?

Looks good.

While your standing its virtually unnoticable.

While your wearing it around the house does your family notice?

The average person does not notice these things. ;)

Back