sticky situation?

gianelli280

allright... here's a potential "shoulda known better" for yall...

Left my savage .17HMR at my girlfriend's house before i deployed, i bet you can see where this is going. I'm not saying that anything will happen, but say our situation goes Tango Uniform and we broke up... what then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a good buddy you can "Loan" it to who will go pick it up and store it? I would gracefully remove it from her household if possible.

It is still yours along with the Federal Paperwork and ID checks you went through. Personally, I think it would be foolish to keep something (a gun) with such a history of you owning it.
I bet BATFE might even be interested if push came to shove. Additionally, if you think NOW that she would scram with your gun you must not be too trusting of her already, maybe you should think about replacing her and the gun soon.

you know, i've said before... "of course i dont trust anyone, i own more guns than ex-girlfriends"

think i might be eating my words on this one. but yes this is my legally listed rifle, and i dont see any reason for her taking it, but like i said... nothing's happened, yet.

If you leave it with her, keep a copy of the make (and/or importer), model, type of action, and serial number in a safe place. A Polaroid or a photograph on a computer disk is also a good idea.

So say in a "worst case scenerio", you two break up & she refuses to return the gun, you can file a Stolen Firearms Report with the local P.D. (Some officers may contend that it is a civil matter, but you can go to their superiors and demand that your information be entered in the NCIC Database. Warn them of the liability of having a firearm floating "out there" and that it will be their fault if it is used in a crime, then demand their names & employee numbers to give if it is ever traced back to you as a crime gun.)

If the Local P.D. still-still refuses to take the report, you can complain directly to your District Attorney's Office. They may either order the P.D. to enter the information, or they may just assign a Sheriff's Deputy or D.A.'s Investigator to do it.

That does two things. First it puts her in jeopardy of getting caught with a stolen firearm: which is a felony in many states. Secondly if she gives it to anyone else and the police ever come across it, they will run the serial number in the database, it will come back to being your firearm, and it should be returned to you, even if it is used in a crime, after it is no longer needed for court.

Nothing is a sure thing, but it does give you a degree of protection, and I would expect that just the threat of being suspected by the authorities of possessing a stolen firearm would make most ex-girlfriends feel that it is not worth it.

In fact, you had witnesses that you had given the gun to her, and if it was entered into the NCIC database, and if you could articulate that it is reasonably believed that she still has the firearm in a certain residence/building, that can be enough for grounds for a search warrant for that location. No woman wants to have her personal belongings rummaged through, and then possible arrest, just to inconvenience an ex-boyfriend.

well i'm not saying i'd be out for revenge or anything, just wanted to know the possibility of me getting my rifle back, which sounds almost 100%. thanks!

@nd point, If you don't (didn't) trust her why did you leave it in her care and custody? Actually even if you lost it somehow what are you out, a couple of hundred bucks to find out what she is like. Pretty cheap over a lifetime. Get married and have a problem, a Savage 17HMR will be the LEAST of your concerns. More like half of the house, the car, your retirement and on and on.

Unless she is a prohibited person, about all you can do if she refuses to return your property is take her to court to get your property back.

Back