Sticking resizing die

fauxpa46

After reloading countless 9mm without problems on my Lee Classic Press, I now find an issue while reloading .45 cal. Although everything is working properly that I'm getting perfectly fine ammunition, I'm finding the resizing die/powder measure is "sticking" to the extent that I have to use excessive pressure to bring the bullet back out of the die. I'm baffled, as I have readjusted and readjusted the die to proper positioning as per Lee's directions.

Anyone have an idea what is going on?

I had issues with brass sticking with certain headstamps, -CBC-primarily. Ended up being a brass issue for me. Could also be a dirty die. I had issues with bullet lube buildup from cast bullets before, as well as lead shavings that made it up into the die. Take the die apart and clean it would be where I would start. And keep track of headsamp, see if it's a specific one.

Fauxpa46,

The sizing die is the first one that squeezes the outside of the case back to size and pushes the primer out. I'm thinking you are referring to a powder-through expander die that flares the case to accept a bullet.

Expanders sticking to cases are usually one of a couple of things. One is that the brass is too clean. The powder residue normally in an expander actually helps lube the expander action. If you are cleaning by wet tumbling with pins, the cases can get so smooth that they contact the steel intimately enough to not release easily from steel. Taking a bore brush on a small handle and turning it inside the case mouth a couple of times to rough it up a little can correct that.

Another source is brass gradually building up on the expander. Friction between two rubbing parts is greatest when they are made of the same metal alloy. So when brass builds up on the expander it behaves as if it is made of brass, and that sticks. The cure here is to clean the expander with a copper-dissolving bore cleaner until it is back to bare steel. Then you can take a patch with some powdered graphite on it and burnish the graphite into the steel. That will cause it to release easily for some time, and dipping the mouth of every tenth case or so in powdered graphite will keep enough there to continue to work well.

Some folks prefer to treat the expander with NuFinish and let it dry or to use another long-lasting automotive wax.

Ah, now I get what you’re saying thanks to UN. I just pull the flaring part out of the die and polish it real nice with Flitz and a polishing wheel on my Dremel. This eliminates about 75% of the sticking but let’s it stick just enough for a little bump to make sure all the powder drops.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. And yes, I did not represent the correctly worded die - It IS the expander die; so sorry about that.

I am using brand new brass, so the former is probably happening. I will do as suggested and see if that helps the situation. Can't thank you enough.

Back