STI LS pistol - any opinions?

Erich

I just ran across a thread that mentioned the STI LS over on Shooters.com. They look pretty nice, but I've never heard anything about them over here. (I tried running a search, but unfortunately the letters "sti" and "ls" appear in a heck of a lot of off-point posts. :) )

Essentially, it's a mini-1911 in 9mm and .40. It's .765" thick across the steel and 1.065" across the wood. 3.4" bbl and a $750 price tag. Here's a link: http://www.stiguns.com/

Although a Glock man (33, baby!), I'm enchanted with the idea of a thin carry pistol (especially now that NM has just passed a concealed carry law). Has anyone here shot one of STI LSs? Anyone have one? How do they compare (in size) to an Officer's acp? Any opinions at all? Thanks!

Boy, what a coincidence!

I've just recently been looking into the same pistol. Most of the info I've gotten from the web indicates this it is a well-engineered and constructed pistol. About 25% of the posts, though, have one or more complaints.

I've seen two posts that are openly critical of the pistol's manufacture. One claims the pistol's sear was badly constructed and made from very pourous steal. Another post claimed that the safety virtually came off the pistol and that the rod on which it is attached bent as if made from aluminum.

My main concern is the lack of posts, both on TFL and other forums, on this pistol. Because there are so few posts, the few complaints take on greater significance, at least in my mind.

Check the 1911forum for more info. It seem sweet. I'd look into picking one up if I found a good testimonial and good explanations for the above-complaints.

I have an LS40 and I'm happy with it.

The gun has been reliable and I have no complaints. It's thinner and slightly lighter than my Kahr MK40 and I think it's slightly easier to control than the MK40 though neither of those guns are particularly pleasant to shoot with full power loads.

STI did have some problems initially with the LS series. There were mag problems (I think they OEM the mags from Metalform) and problems with the recoil springs. As of last summer, both were resolved.

I've seen one other complaint about STI sears where the guy posting to the message board claimed he was sure it was cast. They are not. The STI sears are wire EDM cut and the EDM process does leave a surface that has the appearance of cast metal. STI sears are very hard and last a long time.

You are only semi correct that they are a mini-1911. The bottom end uses 1911 parts except for the mainspring housing and mainspring. The trigger group is 1911. The top end, however, is completely different. The barrel locks up in the ejection port like a Glock, not to the slide like a 1911 and there is no barrel bushing. The extractor is also like those on a Glock - actually just about any modern semi except the 1911.

I also have a Kimber Compact which is Officer's Model sized except the barrels 1/4" or 1/2" longer - I forget which. The LS is a good bit narrower, about 3/4" shorter front to rear, and about 1/2" less tall.

Soon as I get a good holster for the LS40, the Kimber may be up for sale.

No firing pin safety. It's basically a Series 70 safety configuration. The thumb safety's actually fairly stiff. My wife thinks it's too stiff but I don't notice it.

That was actually a concern of mine, too

I suppose as a lefty I probably wouldn't be carrying cocked & locked much anyway (though it's certainly possible to get the RH safety off with the left hand) - the thickness of an ambi safety (why are they always so huge?) is probably contraindicated when I'd be buying the pistol for its very thinness. So probably I'd just go hammer down/empty chamber/ full mag anyway.

This stupid gun is really getting under my skin!

Back