sti 1911 trojan problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedaykin

well, just got my 1911 trojan in 9mm

i had it converted to .38super

the sear and hammer engagement were not messed with by my gunsmith.

i went to the range to break and sight it in. i fired about 125 rounds, then the gun went full auto!

i was shooting a power factor of only 155 with 147gr fmj bullets.

i took it to my gunsmith at his house. he put the hammer and sear on a trigger block (test engagement surfaces). they were so out of engagement that only one side of the sear was contacting the hammer!
my smith corrected it (he is very good) and we went right out to the range again as the sun was going down. i got through about three mags and it went full auto again!

we looked at the so called "tool steel" hammer and sear that sti says comes with the gun. the sear is definitely a cast part. you can see the porosity on both sides of the sear. the disconnector is also very obviously and poorly a cast part.
i gave my gunsmith my gun last night and he is going to throw in some quality parts and he is going to go to work on it. his worry is that sti might have drilled the sear and hammer frame holes out of spec. i am in a tough spot as i need this gun for some matches this week and weekend so i leave it in the hands of my trusted gunsmith instead of gambling on whoever is doing work at sti.

any other ideas out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back