Steyr

After 5 frustrating years with a Glock 17 (always left and low) and years of research in Glock/HK/Steyr/SIG/Firingline-Forums and a lot of testshooting I decided to buy a Steyr M9 last week. At my local gun store I than ran into a fresh shipment of S-9s and bought one right away. Since than I was out in the forrest to shot my new "tool" a few times. "One handed" at 25 yards 2inches! Very controllabe! Crisp trigger! It fits my small hands really well. Although a pocketpistol, compared to the Glock 26 - which I previously also owned - it is a "real gun". Due to the manual safety I can carry the gun loaded and unholstered in my coat which is not recommended with a Glock. I also disasambled slide and frame and found the inside finished like a swiss glockwork. My recommendaton: Testshoot and buy.

[Edited by carlcroy on 04-25-2001 at 02:04 PM]

Agree with Carl! Have had an early low ser # M40 for just over a year. An excellent pistol. In .40 it has less muzzle flip and perceived recoil than the Glock 23 also have. Am "afraid" to try the new S9 as am fairly sure it would make me get rid of the G26. There is a small Steyr site @ http://www.unitedforums.com with good info.

a friend of mine owns one, and i've handled it on several occassions. it shoots well, about 2" group. the only problem i had with it is that when it is fully loaded with 10 rounds, i had difficulty pulling the slide back to chamber the first round. i'm not sure why it was so difficult, but my friend and a few others tried it and they had the same difficulty. my friend is going to contact steyr about it and see what the deal is. other than that, it's a nice gun. i still prefer my hk uspc .40 to it, but that's another post. good luck in your decision

Steyr makes a lot of pistols, I have had a GB since 1985 and find it to be the finest 9mm service pistol ever. I have looking forward to a few of the new M, S, and L series and should have an M40 in about 6 weeks.

6 Weeks? Are you pretty sure on that?
That would be great news, I'm looking forward to getting one. But I contacted GSI last week and they said they didn't know when they would be getting them in. Six weeks would be just about enough time to save up the cash. ;)

BTW: had a Gb too, and wish I had never sold it!

I called CDNN this morning to order one. They went out almost as soon as they came in. Nich Crawford told me that the employees and their friends jumped all over them, Nick got two. They are out of the Walther PP 32's as well. They do have Speer Gold Dot in .357 SIG or .357 Mag for $11 per box of 50.

I have both the M9 and the M40. Both are excellent guns with great ergonomics (the Steyr and the HS2000 are probably the best 9mm guns for small hands). The M9 is the softest shooting 9mm I've ever handled. The M40 is a little harsher, but that's what you'd expect from a .40. The fit and finish on the Steyr is excellent and the gun is very accurate at combat distances. The trigger is better than a Glock--crisper with a shorter reset--but then that's not saying much compared to a good 1911 trigger. Although the trigger is advertised at 5.5 lbs, it is closer to 7 lbs on both of my guns. There was some talk about Steyr reliability, but both have been very reliable and the brass lands where it's supposed to. Some people have complained about the trapezoidal sights, but I took to them immediately. The site acquisition is fast and the gun points naturally--similar to a 1911. There are no hi-cap mags available and there are no aftermarket parts. GSI is selling the M9 and M40 for $350, including one mag. All in all, I really like the M9 and the M40.

I've had 3 M40's and I currently have two M357's. I wanted one of the $349 M40 specials but missed it --- dang it. As much as I like Steyr, I have to admit I still like SIG, Glock, Beretta, HK, and Ruger, even though I don't have any of those pistols currently. Woops. My daughter does have a Ruger .22 autopistol :)

My only current concern is who will buy Steyr and what will happen to GSI?

Back