Steyr website? Feedback?

Just4Fun

Looking for the Steyr website.

The M series looks really interesting and I would be interested in feedback on this firearm in any caliber.

Can anybody compare this to the Glock? I currently shoot a Glock 22 .40.

What about customer service, parts, field stripping, etc.?

P.S.
I live in California. Does anybody know if the Steyr is approved for sale in Calif. or if it has been submitted for testing?

The Soldier OF Fortune magazine, issue April 2000, has an article on the Steyr M-series. They looked at the M40 (.40 s&w) and the M9 (9mm para.).
Their T&E summary - Priced competitively, with a substantial amount of state-of-the-art high technology and human engineering. Reliable.

Overall the article was quite positive, at no point did they mention anything negative about the two guns.
Testing involved firing about 1000 rounds of Winchester( ranger and generic ), Remington, Black Hills, Norma, Federal and CCI Blazer. With no stoppages at all.
Accuracy at 25 yards was approx. 3 inches.

I held the M357 and M9 today. They feel good in my hand. The sights are unusual, but actually are really nice. It's a triangular set-up. My only concern is if you dropped the gun on the sights, they may well bend or break. I didn't shoot it, so my only comparison to a Glock that I could make is that I like the Steyr's grip much better, but that's very subjective. I'm waiting to see an S357, if it is like the M357, it may well be my next gun.

The Steyr M- and S-Series have not yet been approved for California, because GSI has yet to submit them for testing. That's one reason why I bought a Steyr M357 in December. I have an M40 and M357 now.

I suggest that you contact GSI through their website to inquire about the status of California testing.

I had one of the M-40's and got rid of it. I was having problems with the slide returning all the way to battery and light primer strikes.I heard from some others that Steyr was having some problems with some of the early ones and that they would take care of it if you sent the gun to them. I didn't feel like going thru all of that hassle, so I traded for a Walther P-99. I did like the feel and performance tho, and the sight system worked for me. I have seen that the prices seem to be going backwards too, which may be an indication they are not going over to well.Whatever the case, if you have one and like it that is all that matters.:)

A GSI rep told me that they are submitting their Steyr pistols for approval testing in CA and Massachus in January. Let's hope they can stay on track.

I believe the all-steel sights on the Steyr are very sturdy.

Yes, the Glock is a fine piece. I don't think any other modern guns can match its simplicity. They must have done something right since there are millions of Glocks out there.

I don't think you will find a gun made that does not have folks that either like it or hate it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Soldier of Fortune Apr 2000 issue. They are usually fairly good in their reviews. That's where I first read about the Glock 27. Wow.

steyr probs

i had an early m40 serial # under 3000. it had several problems. inconsistent,heavy trigger being the least of them. it would have failures to feed. i found the reason for this being as the pistol started to get dirty with enough shooting (i only fired 250 rounds total)the round would slow the slide....i thought. i looked closely. the chamber loaded indicator protrudes out on the breech face. it would get stuck sometimes and keep the round from going into the chamber. i just thought the chamber loaded indicator got some carbon fouling inside its channel. i took it to my trusty gunsmith (steyr dealer as well) he looked in there and found out that the little c-clip holding the spring on the chamber loaded indicator broke and the indicator would get stuck.
another thing (i was told this is now corrected). almost every piece of spent brass while firing would come right back and strike me in the face on recoil!
when i had a malfunction i did a "trb" (malf clearance drill) and the live round would fly right past my ear and hit my training buddy right behind me right in the teeth!
ejection was totally inconsitent.
i called and talked with gsi about making the current trigger lighter (competition). he said the only way they know of is to take out one of the c-clips holding the firing pin spring to the firing pin.

c-clips again....and on a handgun!!!
that should not happen!
c-clips should not be on a handgun.
as of this writing my gunsmith had to send all of his steyrs back to the factory. almost every one he had sold had been returned to him for warranty repairs. my gunsmith way pretty upset.
you can't really be surprised. most new pistols have problems the first couple of years.

Yeah, GSI had a full fledged request to all gun shops, distributers, and customers to return their pistols for upgrades. I believe the process went pretty smoothly. I sure like mine now.

Have one and sent it in for the trigger upgrade, big improvement... They even sent a new mag with it, since I had no use for the gift certificate.

No word on whether they will submit, but there's no reason not to, and no reason why it wouldn't pass.

We bought it for the wife, and she really loves it... Only downside is a lack of hi-cap mags. I am looking forward to the S series, which would make the Hi-Cap issue moot.

Back