Steyr vs Blaser vs ?

Sumtoc

Inactive
I'm shopping for a bolt action rifle for hunting and local competition. I've had various 700s and a Sako (I miss it dearly), but left shooting for about 15 years. Now I'm back and need some input.

I've seen/held the Steyr SBS rifles, a Sako, seen pictures of the Blaser 93. I want a .308 in a synthetic stock. Not looking for a scout rifle, wieght is not a major factor, but I don't want to carry around a 18 lb benchrest rig either. I reload. Assume a $1,500 point of pain. Can you provide comments/suggestions on:

1) Relative accuracy
2) POI drift in multi-shot strings
3) Other comparison points, pros and cons
4) Other options (700 with after market barrel, etc.)

Thanks....

I have a hunted with a 7mm Sako, a 7mm & .308 Blaser and I have limited experience with the SBS rifle, albeit a Scout. I have not yet gotten to hunt with the SBS.

I'd give the nod to the Blaser. There is nothing as rapid or as smooth in the multi-shot scenario as the Blaser. The ersatility of the multi-calibre nature is unsurpassed. The trigger, from the factory, is exsquisite.
Multiple shot strings at 200 yards can be covered with a half dollar, and I shoot rather quickly. The rifle could well be capable of keeping its shots within a quarter (1/2 MOA) at that range. I've shot a couple 3 shot-One hole groups at 100 yards.

The Sako, OTOH, is for my money, the smoothest stock bolt action out there after the Blaser. If you want a traditional bolt action, Sako is the way to go. The Sako will be heavier than either of your other two choices, noticibly so, I believe.

The SBS has a lot going for it, including the safety system and the very positive detachable mag system, but that has little hunting application. The rifle is light, but not much lighter than the Blaser. The Scout trigger is supposedly special, so I really can't judge the regular SBSs by it.. it, BTW, is exceptional.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the speedy reply Rob. I obviously need to see a Blaser. I have read a few posts (that I think you were involved in), which point out that the synthetic stock on the Blaser is not up to snuff. Can you elaborate? I'd hate to drop the $$s and be unhappy with the quality of the fit and finish of the stock...

Also, we have talked about Steyr, Blaser and Sako. Are there any other reasonble options? I was thinking a customized 700, etc......

I, too, am interested in the Blaser synthetic stock. Is this the North American version? I've shot a few of my European clients' blasers and they are wonderful, but all wood stocked.

I'm interested in fit as well as quality of the stock.

Thanks.

THere is another thread where Mad Dog addresses the lack of impressiveness in the Synthetic Stock.

My Blaser is a "Classic" with a wood stock and is superbly finished. I have held a couple synthetic Blasers and never noticed too much of a problem, but Mad Dog is much more of a meticulous craftsman type guy than I am. The stock survived my cursory inspection, but not his in depth appraisal. If he says its crap, then it is probably crap.

That jumps the price of the Blaser up significantly, if you go with the wooden stock.

As far as custom 700s, well, you could end up with a great rifle or you could end up with an expensive 700. The 700, to me, is a great action to start with. Certainly, there are people capable of improving it. But, I suggest (as with any work), that you choose your customizer based on experience. Check out one of his guns before you decide on using him. Make sure that what youhave will really be worth the $$$, and in the end better than a Sako/Blaser. If the rifles were going to be equal in capability/comfort and they were going to cost the same amount, I'd rather have the stock gun (warranty, etc..).

If you are serious about a custom 700, BTW, I really suggest you contact the Remington Custom shop in Utica, NY. They make some amazing rifles.

Back