Steyr Scouts Arrived - Optics Question

DblTap

Yep. That was not a typo. Scouts. One was the Jeff Cooper Package and the other is the Tactical Scout.

Ok. Now the question. What optics would you suggest I put on the Tactical? I will be shooting it at the range at distances up to 200 yards, hunting whitetail deer in northern Michigan and mule deer out west next year.

Anybody else out there got a Tactical?

DblTap

While the Scout requires low powered pistol scopes, the Tactical Scout uses traditional scopes- right?

I'm designing a Sniper/Scout myself, and thought about the optics choice very carefully. IMHO, this is a very critical part of the system. As the saying goes, if you can't see it you can't hit it...

The Leupold 3.5-10x50mm Tactical is usually a top choice for such an application. However, the high turrets take away some streamlining. Consider the standard 3.5-10x50mm Matte. Plain Duplex- the mildots won't help you much at 200yds. I'm also considering the 2.5-10x50mm Schmidt & Bender.

In any case, don't try to save money on your scope choice, you'll undoubtedly regret it in the future.

DeBee,

Yes, you are correct. Both Scout Rifles (the Jeff Cooper package and the Tactical) have mounting areas in the forward "scout" position and the traditional "over the ejection port".

Question on the Leupold 3.5-10x50 Tactical. The higher turrents are used so it is easier to adjust?

Thanks,
DblTap

I just have to comment here - unless you are goat and sheep hunting, the old 3Xwhatever is a terrible choice!
I hunt in relatively open territory and used a 3X9 for many years. Every once in awhile I'd jump an animal in brush at close range and be unable to get a shot because the 3 power was simply too much - you can't shoot what you can't find in your scope!
On the other hand, if you take a variable and shoot a 300 yard group at 3 power and another at say, 9 power, the difference won't be enough to remark on. You don't need high magnification to punch a deers rib cage at hunting ranges.
The higher magnification won't help you but the lack of low power magnification will - especially in wooded country like Michigan.

If you must have a traditional eye relief scope, go with a 1X5 and keep your setting on its lowest magnification - you can always dial up if you want to take a long shot but you're screwed when that ten pointer jumps up at your feet and your scope is set on high magnification - worse if you have a 3X9 or 4X10 because you don't even have the option to take close shots.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back