Steyr Scout...Worth It?

Model12Win

Is the Steyr Scout a good rifle?

How reliable is it? Is it durable, will it hold up? Seem kind of plasticy. Do they break a lot or anything?

I am wanting to get a TRUE SCOUT rifle, NOT the abortion that Ruger calls a "scout rifle". Something that meets Jeff Cooper's actual requirements for a scout. Heck, he worked with Steyr to design the Steyr Scout and everything that has come after it is largely dismissed by scout rifle purists. I'm not a "Cooper Trooper" but the Steyr checks a lot of boxes for me.

But it's $1300. :eek:

I am going for one of the cool grey ones. I plan to add a Leupold scout scope on it, a Ching sling, and an extra magazine for the butt compartment.

So how are the Steyr scouts? Are they good guns?

I've never worked with one, but I know people who have.
A fellow retired LE bro-in-law goes to the Cooper reunions & they show up there.
He's not a huge fan of the concept, but did get a chance to watch 'em in action & try one himself.

Liked what he could do with it.

It holds up.
If you like what it is & have the money, it's a quality rifle.
Denis

The synthetic stock Ruger (part # 6829 or 6830), when combined with the obvious accessories, meets Cooper's definition of a scout rifle and AFAIK is the only commercial rifle to do so without modification. The Steyr does not - it's too heavy. It weighs a half pound more out of the gate, and the gap widens when you put a smaller plastic mag in the Ruger and swap the muzzle brake for a thread protector.

So if you want a "true" scout don't bother with the Steyr.

Thanks, Denis.

The last thing I'd want is for a $1300 rifle to break down on me in a couple years. I assume the internal parts are probably made relatively strong and should be quality parts. I've been eyeing Steyr Scouts for at least a decade but they've always been out of my price range. But now the prices on them seem to be coming down to more reasonable levels. A few years ago they were going for $2000 on up, and now I've seen them well below $1500, a more doable price for me to be sure. Add that that I've been looking for a "do-all" bolt action hunting rifle and I think now might be the time. Just looking for as much feedback as possible on current Steyr Scouts before I take the plunge.

I wouldn't worry about the quality & I've never heard anything negative on the durability.
I wouldn't get hung up over whether it misses Cooper's PRECISE specs on his ideal Scout by half an inch or three ounces.

If you like what it offers, go for it.
Denis

I am wanting to get a TRUE SCOUT rifle, NOT the abortion that Ruger calls a "scout rifle".

I think the word you are looking for is abomination.

abomination

The noun abomination means a thing or action that is vile, vicious or terrible.

Even Cooper never owned what he considered the perfect "scout rifle". And his requirements were quite flexible and changed somewhat over time. If he were still with us I'm certain his specifications would have been modified to fit today's available technology.

The Ruger is as good a scout rifle as anyone else has developed. I have a "Scout rifle" and it doesn't come close to most of Coopers specs., but for my uses it is a much better rifle than he envisioned. In my opinion Cooper was WRONG about a lot of stuff, including his Scout concept, especially the forward mounted optics. The basic idea is good, just not the specifics.

Styer makes a very nice rifle, I've owned a Pro Hunter and shot others. I wouldn't buy a Styer Scout Rifle at any price. While Cooper had input on the design it still didn't meet all of his specs.

My advice for anyone wanting a "Scout" rifle is to look at the features that are important to you. Find a bolt, or any other action rifle in the caliber you want that comes the closest to what you want and modify it to meet your needs.

A Steyr Scout was high on my Want List, until I actually tried one. Fired about 20 rounds and hated every one.
Try before you buy.

Cooper wasn't "wrong" about the forward mounted telescope. It's exactly what he wanted - the fastest possible magnified optic. Numerous comparisons to conventionally mounted optics proved it was markedly faster.

Now, you may decide you don't want what he wanted - for example, that you'd rather have field of view or glare reduction or variable magnification over speed. That's fine and a perfectly reasonable choice. But the scout scope does exactly what it was intended to do.

The scout, exactly as specified, is a fine gun as far as I'm concerned. Ruger makes such a Scout. Styer does not. The only problem I see with the Ruger is that the fit and finish is a little lacking and the rear peep sight comes up short relative to say a Garand. But it's still far closer than anyone else has gotten in a production rifle.

Even Cooper never owned what he considered the perfect "scout rifle". And his requirements were quite flexible and changed somewhat over time. If he were still with us I'm certain his specifications would have been modified to fit today's available technology.

Jmr40 nailed it.

Cooper never had a fixed concept of a "Scout rifle," except for the chambering - or preferred chambering - in 7.62/.308, and the use of a forward-mounted optic supported by sturdy back-up iron sights. The "Scout" was always an evolving concept or theory, and his original checklist of specs for what makes a "Scout rifle" became subject to his own additions and deletions.

No denying the fact that Cooper did build several very nice examples of a "Scout rifle" - including a Big Bore for use on African game - but Steyr's factory "Scout," when it first came along (forgot the date), was only the latest and perhaps most advanced of the varying samples then produced.

True, there are some general length, weight, and optic requirements that purportedly apply to each sample in the breed, but even these have never been rigidly uniform.

Arguably, Savage's very early 1st Gen "Scout" was a faithful attempt to apply the concept, but those rifles also had some QC problems, per various user reports.

My advice for anyone wanting a "Scout" rifle is to look at the features that are important to you.
Find a bolt, or any other action rifle in the caliber you want that comes the closest to what you want and modify it to meet your needs.

Yep, been there, did that. :D

7.62 Mini-G "Scout".

:cool:

Last edited:
Model12Win - "I am going for one of the cool grey ones. I plan to add a Leupold scout scope on it, a Ching sling, and an extra magazine for the butt compartment."

Just beware that the fixed power Leupold Scout Scope does not have an adjustable ocular bell to focus the reticle like most scopes. If you have middle aged eyes, you may want the Burris Scout scope or the Leupold variable magnification Scout scope so you can adjust the reticle focus.

Wow, forgive me what I said about the Gunsite Scout guys. I had no idea they came with a composite stock now. That shaves about a pound of the weight of the gun, and I also had no idea the RGS with that stock is LIGHTER than the Steyr.

The only thing I can't get around on the Ruger is the 16.5" barrel. I am not sure if Cooper would have thought that too short or not. I believe he required a 19" barrel on the rifles in order to drive a 155 grain .308 bullet to 2700 FPS as the ideal power factor.

I see that Ruger does have an 18.7" barrel model GSR, but it only comes with the heavy laminate stock and is stainless. From what I understand there is no way to order the black composite stock from Ruger. Otherwise, I'd get that model and swap the laminate wood for the composite black and just have the barreled receiver professionally duracoated matte black. I'd also remove the flash hider and install a short thread protector.

But like I said... Ruger is making it difficult to get the ideal scout rifle since they don't sell the composite stock as a standalone unit...

The shorter barrel doesn't seem to be any particular problem. It's quite handy, and there's very little velocity difference. It'll easily keep a 165gr accubond in its designed velocity window out to 400y.

Chicharrones, thank you for the link! It appears that they now sell the stock as a standalone unit. I'm not surprised that it's out of stock, I'm sure a ton of people want them to replace the laminated wood ones.

I think the 18.7" barreled Gunsite Scout with the stock switched over to the black composite style (also has three sling swivels), no flash suppressor, thread protector installed, Leupold scout scout (lightest scout scope available), Ching sling, duracoated matte black, and 5-round polymer magazines would make a very close to Cooper's original specifications scout.

Model12Win - "I think the 18.7" barreled Gunsite Scout with the stock switched over to the black composite style (also has three sling swivels), no flash suppressor, thread protector installed, Leupold scout scout (lightest scout scope available), Ching sling, duracoated matte black, and 5-round polymer magazines would make a very close to Cooper's original specifications scout."

-------

That sounds like a nice rifle. The GSR is a solid gun. The bolt needs "breaking in", but after that it's all good. :cool:

My own GSR has the no longer made 17.2" barrel that was advertised as 16.5". That's how come the current 18.7" is what it is, originally it was advertised as 18.0". Both barrels were under reported by about 3/4". The newer 16.1" barrel is true to specs from what I hear.

My GSR with laminate stock, one stock spacer, empty 10 round poly magazine, nylon two point sling, muzzle thread protector, Burris 2x pistol scope, and Burris low Zee Rings weighs in at 7.75 lbs.

If I am to believe Ruger's specs, my GSR could lose 0.9 lbs with the synthetic stock. That would offset the optics and sling weight nicely. However, I've grown really fond of the laminate stock so it's hard for me to pony up the additional $150.00 at this point. Maybe in the future? :D

I think the scout rifle concept has some merits as long as you are free to pick and choose which features suit your own values. What's an ideal scout rifle to you? I wouldn't have the Steyr. I think it would take a custom- built rifle to do it right for me. In the end, might as well have a 1903-A3 Springfield, since it would be so close to that for me.

I've always thought a custom built scout would be great, but I just do not have that kind of money.

When I first made this thread, I had no idea the Steyr scout was technically overweight.

Then I learned that the Ruger scout now comes with an optional lightweight composite stock, and also has a longer-barreled version. What a good match. Then I learned the composite stock has a space for an extra sling swivel to fit a Ching sling. Right then things started to change for me.

Guys thanks so much for helping me and teaching me. I want to experience a scout how Cooper would have wanted it, and what many scout purists consider correct. They might be on to something for sure. If not I'll either sell it or more likely modify it to be exactly how I want.

But first, I'd like to try Cooper's scout or as close to one as I can realistically afford.

Back