Steyr Scout Problems?

MAD DOG

It seems that the Steyr Scout is prone to soft strikes on primers. I have heard of and seen several cases of this recently.
The bipod also appears to be rather flimsy, and easily broken when the weapon is supported on it during prone firing.
I know of one recent case of this happening, and have heard of others.

I have also seen a meticulously maintained Scout that had less than 500 rounds through it which was evidencing galling on the aluminum receiver in the bolt channel.

Have any of you experienced similar problems?

The SS has an ajustable firing pin tension. It can be tuned for hard primers to a certain degree. Mine has little trouble with military primers now, though hardly ideal ammo for this gun. Of course, bolt lift will be a bit stiffer, but it's not bad.

I haven't had any problems with my bipod. It's not really meant for heavy duty use, just occaisional employment. It's not an M60 bipod after all. Use the sling, that's what it's for.

My SS has a couple of hundred rounds through it and I've seen no sign of any wear on the reciever.

I´ve found a way to make my JC Package SS to malfunction. Not by cycling it with live rounds upside down fast, through two ten rounder mags. Not by shooting thirty rounds thru it as fast as I could that the barrel glowed :). But by loading some of the rounds forward in the mag that the bottle-neck part of the cases do not engage the rails inside the magazine. I feed it only either Trophy-Bonded Bear Claw or Federal Match so no failure to fire experience to report. Also dry-firing it around 20 or so times in a row fast(yes, sometimes I´m that bored and no, I don´t use dummy rounds anymore!) would usually give me a grainyness feeling in the trigger before release. I´ve used the bipod only on smooth planks of wood that they´re still as new. Maybe if I don´t let the butt rest snugly in my shoulder and let the pods be fixed onto something then maybe I could break them. I won´t. Close to 500 rounds fired and not counting. God bless.

I've had FTFs with military ammo, so I don;t use the surplus junk in the rifle anymore.

I think it is an idealistic Fo-Pah on the part of Steyr to put out "the ultimate utility rifle" and then make it incapable of firing the most common ammo on the planet, but who am I to judge?? :rolleyes:

I can live the problem and shoot only premium ammo throuhg it, I've never used the bipod in field conditions, but I've hardly ever used any bipod in field conditions.... as pointed out above, the Sling does an excellent job of helping you build a steady platform anyway.

Back