Steyr SBS vs. SSG

Steyr has two SSG's. The earlier model SSG-69 series (PI, PII, PII-K and P-IV) all have bolt locking lugs on the bolt rear and the bolt locks to the receiver body in a conventional manner. The two position safety in on the right hand side of the receiver. The model number indicates the barrel length, open sight and sometime the stock color (OD green or matt black). The barrel and action is mostly available in matt balck but OD green is also common. It holds a 5 or 10 round (very rare) rotary magazine. The cost of a SSG-69 system without scope is around $2000ish.
The newer SSG-SBS has what Steyr called Safe Bolt System action, it basically has the bolt locking lugs on the front and a three position safety switch on the tang like a shot gun safety. The bolt directly into the barrel recesses not the receiver. It shares the magazine with the Scout, a 5 or 10 round (a $100 item) single stack magazine. The Steyr SSG SBS tactical system cost is around $800ish. I have one and it shot its' first three shots in to a single hole at 100 meters. I'm very contend with it, hence my log-in name. And no, I do not work for Steyr. SBS

Thanks for the reply sbs. I was thinking of purchasing the sbs tactical with the laminated wood stock and accessory rail but have not seen a price on it. The other option was the same model with a McMillan fiberglas stock with adjustable cheekpiece and accessory rail.

Back