Steyr SBS Tactical ?

Milehi

Does anyone here own a Steyr SBS? I read in Gun Test that the Steyr Forester rifle was not worth the $$, tooling marks, poor trigger and accuracy. The SBS looks like a neat rifle, 20" barrel, standard bolt handle and a 10 round magazine.
Just wondering how the SBS compared.

I have handled a couple of them and not seen any indications of poor manufacturing. I have a Scout and love it.

I suggest you try one out for yourself.

Rob......Thats what I did today. My dealer said it should be here next Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think.

I took my 26" SBS Tactical to the range yesterday. Groups averaged about 3/4" for five rounds of my handloads at 100 yards. The creepy triger I think was holding me back a little, I'll work on that. The first thing I noticed was when I tried to mount my Mark IV using Mark IV rings was that the scope didn't clear the bolt handle, so I had to use higher rings. The scope bore is currently 2" above bore axis, a little higher than I would like. Once I work on the trigger I believe this will be an excellent rifle. I paid $800 for it from a local dealer.

I got the opportunity to examine one of the Steyr 20" SBS Tacticals recently and realy liked the concept. The forearm however, appeared pretty flimsy, I don't know if it would hold up well during field use. The trigger is a long way from a Jewel but for a stock gun its not bad. The action seemed to be rougher that I am used to on the SSG series.

John

Back