Steyr SBS Tactical HB

barryf

Inactive
I'm looking for a long range rifle in 308. I was thinking of the Remington 700PPS but that are hard to find right now. I saw the Steyr (NIB)at a local gunshop for $799. I have no experence with this weapon and could use a little help.:confused Tell me what ya'll think.
Thanks

Stick with the Remington. If you want one now, you could go with the 700 VS Fluted barrel. This utilizes the same action as the PSS just a bull barrel with fluting. Or you could find a 700 VS which is the exact same action as the PSS, just in a different H&S stock. I have had one of the VS guns and it shoots as well and on some days better than a friends PSS. Not too long ago I got antsy and thought I needed a new long range rifle. I acquired a Steyr SSG and sold my Remington 700 VS. What a mistake. I hated the Steyr and could not shoot it to save my life. As luck would have it, I got rid of the Steyr, and the guy that bought my Remington has sold it to the shop that I deal with. To make a long story short, I'm picking it up tomorrow. Do not let anyone tell you that a Remington 700 is inferior to another design ie the Steyr. These weapons will perform.

Be Safe
Mike

I would have to recommnd that you seriously consider the Steyr option. I recently purchased an SSG PIIK, and the performance of this gun has been nothing short of remarkable. After 5 shots to zero in the Sawarovski scope, the first two five shot groups at 100 yards were in one hole. This was with moly coated 168gr.match Sierras. It's pretty much a waste of time to shoot this rig at 100 yards has it appears ready to deliver this kind of sub MOA accuracy all day. Of course the SSG is a different Steyr rifle than the one you are considering. If you want to stay with the SBS line, I suggest you investigate the heavy barreled tactical versions of this model: check GSI's web site to see what's possible.

Back