Steyr SBS ProHunter Rifle

Flashman

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this rifle. They have been available over a year. How do they shoot? Fit and finish? Good value compared to a Ruger, Winchester or Remington?

A friedn bought one and he fell in klove with it last hunting season.. he has officially retired his Sako, which he has used for a LOOONG time.....

It was reportedly reliable, accurate and durable throughout the season.

I was with him when he took a deer with it in November and I handled it and thought it was a very nice rifle.

Of course, I could say all those things about several remingtons, too!... In the end I think the SBS would make a great high end hunting rifle, but I am not convinced that it offers a great "value."

I have handled the SBS and it felt pretty good but I have not fired one. I have a Steyr MKIII Professional in .270 Winchester and it is absolutely the best handling and most accurate bolt gun I have owned (even better than my Sako Fiberclass). They are still available both used and a few new ones and are usually well under $900.00 new (suggested retail was $995.00). I like the rear lock up on the Professional better than the new SBS. I think it contributes to the accuracy a lot (ever shot a "cheap" Remington 788?) Either way I don't think you can go wrong with a Steyr rifle.

Back