Steyr M95M

Flipper 56

Just bought this "straight pull" Steyr which is converted to 8mm. Mauser.
Thought it was a Cool....unusual gun....that's about my main attraction to it.
What are Steyr 95 usually? I'm a little baffled by these 7.92 x 56, 7.92 x 56J,
7.92 x 56jrs cartridges I've read about. How many different cartridges has this rifle been made in? any clue would be appreciated. :confused:

I believe they where actually chambered in 8X50r and then where cut down and chambered in 8X56r and 7.92X57mm. I could be wrong but that is the best of my knowledge. Do some research and you should be able to find out for sure.

Do some research and you should be able to find out for sure.

I started reading about them and a propensity towards "breaking extractors"
I was trying to determine the cause and if anyone had first hand experience.

I have had several of those in the 8x56r. I've had the long guns & carbines & loved the smooth action. Never had a problem with them, & ammo was [ USED to be ] cheap & plentiful. There are many hunters out West that use these rifles.

One correction, there's no J calibers, they are I. The J crept into the English language literature due to the very similar shape of capital J and I in the old German font, but the original letter is I for Infantry cartridge.

Just FWIW, the I and J in old German were not similar, they were the same; my old college German books show only one letter between "H" and "K", and it was pronounced either as an "I" ("in") or as a "Y" ("Iunkers" - modern German "Junkers"). There is no "J" (as in "John") sound in German, so it is one of the vagaries of languages that a German has a hard time pronouncing the English word "German."

The splitting up of the "I" into "I" and "J" was at the order of a fellow named Hitler, so I suppose he did do one good thing.

Jim

The splitting up of the "I" into "I" and "J" was at the order of a fellow named Hitler, so I suppose he did do one good thing.

And thus sealed the fate of generations of engineers battling mathematicians over whether the square root of -1 is "j" or "i" :D

(All right-thinking people know that it's "j".)

Just to correct two errors in my previous post. Both "I" and "J" existed in the old German; the similarity of the capital letters in the normal Fraktur font confused me. And Hitler did not split up the "I" and "J", he banned the use of Fraktur.

Changes in modern German are still being proposed, the latest being whether to stop using the "double s" character ("ß") and just use "ss" instead. The character, used at the end of words, resembles a capital "B" and sometimes leads people copying German text to write a word like "daß" (dass) as "dab".

Jim

Last edited:
Took 4 years of German is High School. That 27 letter alphabet can be a pain but "Arbeit macht das Leben SuSS" The 2 S should be an "essett".:confused:

Back