Steyr M40 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petej88

The new Steyr M9 and M40 models are beginning to hit the streets this week. Anybody try one out yet?

I'd like to get some opinions other than the "wow" magazine articles I've read lately.

Interesting things about the new Steyr:

1. Lower bore axis than the Glock.
2. Short reset trigger somewhat like the Glock.
3. manual safety that you push up inside the trigger guard. A bit strange but ...
4. Key lock built into the pistol so it can't be fired or taken apart when the lock is engaged.
5. Measurements: almost exactly 7" by 5" by 1.18" -- very similar to a Glock 19/23/32.
6. Perceived recoil is supposed to be excellent and farily mellow.
7. Grip is supposed to be able to handle any size hand; in other words it's easy to get to the trigger.

So I might as well be the first to start a new Glock rumor :) Gee, I heard that the new finger groove Glock frames are almost impossible to get right now. They will be available in a month or so.

Maybe Glock is working on yet a newer generation frame to be politically correct in the good ol' USA, somewhat like the new Steyr pistols? It would be relatively easy for Glock to make this mod and probably blow away the new Steyr pistols before they catch on <G> ducking and hiding now.

I think it looks great, and I'm sure it will be a great shooter. I'm just a little concerned about its size- I have a feeling, going by GSI's dimensions of the pistol (on their website), it seems like its going to be a bit bigger than the Glock 19,23,32- not really in the width, but the length (could be wrong though). I hope the shop gets one soon to look at.

I don't know about the rumor about Glocks and them being hard to come by. There are two Glock dealers in my area and both seem to have no problem getting Glocks. Getting a G22 might be a little difficult because Glock is trying to fulfill its law enforcement orders. 3 weeks ago I bought a G22, just came into the shop on the last UPS shipment, the only G22 he was able to get at that time.

just got back from my local supplier
where i got a chance to handle this
new handgun.it feels great and the
unique sights line up well.i have
not been very high on polymer framed
handguns but this beauty might be
the one to fill my 40 caliber
gap.hopefully one of the hot shots
at the club will latch onto one
early and i can beg a tryout.

------------------

cliff

Rob96

I agree, in my area- all you have to do is pick your caliber- between all the stores, I can get almost any Glock model.

Capbuster,

Just out of curiousity, size wise- how does it compare to some of the other Glock mid frames or HK compact

Shot a steyr today. The sights are super fast, once you get used to them. This is my new favorite gun. I'll tell ya more after experimenting with it this week.

Get this. the chamber is virtually fully supported, just like a revolver. I kid you not. The used brass is not over expanded like in a Glock .40. The trigger feels just like an improved on, tight glock trigger.

Absolutely amazing.

The Steyr sounds very promising except that we can't get existing hi-caps :-(

If the felt recoil is lower than the .40 Glocks, i'm interested. Supported chamber a big plus too, for reloaders of .40.

What's this about the new Glock frame? Have they redesigned the existing fingergroove frame, for better. could someone e-mail me w/info?
crzycelt@aol.com thanks

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited November 08, 1999).]

I saw a M-40 and handled it,but when I asked about the M-9 was told that it was not out yet. Dave

Petey, you're too much like me; this is your Excalibur of the week! :)

The only thing holding me back is the lack of any extensive third party T&E. I have only Steyr's word it works well. Only extensive test fire mentioned (by them)showed one malfunction every 2000 rounds; not good enough compared to the competition.

I know Glock, SIG, Beretta, and HK have been put through the wringer by NATO, FBI, DEA, US military, German Police, etc. We knew the USP passed NATO/US mil-spec T&E before it hit the market for example.

When Steyr gets a similar stamp of approval, I might try it.

Looks good, sounds promising, keep us posted.

------------------
>>>>---->

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back