Steyr M torture testing

petej88

Europe did a two-day 10,000 round test in one M40 and it held up well.

GSI shot 13,000 assorted rounds through 8 M40's and they held up well.

Not exactly objective third party testing, but it's a start. I am looking forward to some agencies taking the M40/9 through the gears.

One glock friend stated that the Steyr magazine catch will wear out fast since it is polymer and the magazine is steel. Based on the testing so far and the very hard polymer that Steyr uses, along with the high quality Mec-Gar magazines, this appears to be a moot point.

Another Glock friend said that he could break a plastic spoon in half and then use it to open the integrated lock on the Steyr pistol. Nice try :) I tried to defeat it several ways and could not. Yes, all locks can be picked with the right tool though. I mean, the Steyr pistol police version uses the universal handcuff key.

Note: I just received an offical confirmation that all M40's rolling off the manufaturing line now have the ejector port tapering fix. If you have an earlier model that is giving you a bad time of dinging up the slide, they will do the upgrade on your pistol asap.

If you want to know if an M40 has the ejector port fix or not, here's how: The top front edge of the ejector port has a 45 degree taper to it, instead of the older 90 degrees. Also, the back right corner of the ejector port is rounded at aprox 45 degrees instead of a 90 degree corner.

cheers

Petej88,

I just FedEx my M40 back to to G.S.I. for the firing pin problem. I took it back to were I brought it, and they told me that the Steyr can't handle cheap ammo! I talked with Herbert at G.S.I. and he laughed, saying that they tested the styer with ever ammo available without one problem. He feels it is definetly a problem with the firing pin.
My M-40 has been gone for 6 hours and I'm missing it dearly!

Cig

JP

I'd have to laugh at that statement as well. Part of my testing was purposely shooting cheap remanufactured ammo. I also made reloads from full power level all the way down to mild target loads that barely cycled the slide. And all these loads worked perfectly.

You just happened to get a lemon. I've noticed that my Steyr M40 puts a really healthy primer indentation in the middle of the primer always. On the other hand, I've had some light primer strikes with my Glock occasionally.

In a couple weeks you'll be a happy camper.

By the way, the Steyr engineer said that even though the M9 does not need the ejector port tapering fix like the M40, the M9's will have this modification as well, to ease manufacturing overhead.

Steyr magazine catch correction!

When I got home last night I checked the magazine catch and it looked like steel. I confirmed this with a call to the GSI armorer this morning. So, the steel magazine directly contacts the steel magazine catch. No wonder the thing hasn't been wearing out :)

petej88,

Do you know if Mec-Gar will sell spare mags for the Steyrs under their own name in addition to supplying them to Steyr?
I've seen Ruger mags with the Mec-Gar name selling for less than the identical Ruger labeled mags. This seems to hold even with pre-ban hicaps, probably because a gun manufacturers name is more collectible than a mag maker.

I hope they will. But I don't know at this time. Maybe as the market builds up, Mec-Gar will sell them as well. Might depend on their licensing arrangements with Steyr.

I do have two extra Steyr mags that I bought from GSI for $38 each -- not a bad price for high quality steel mags.

By the way, when I ordered my mags, they only had 50 left at the time. So if you want 'em, you better order fast.

Back