Steyr M Series vs. Glocks

HowardK

After having owned a Glock and a Steyr M9, I'm convinced that the Steyr is THE gun that Glock should be building.

First, The ergonomics of the Steyr fits smaller hands much better than the blocky Glock. The trigger reach is shorter, the trigger guard is deeply undercut allowing for a high hand hold, and the curved backstrap gives a secure grip. The gun points similar to a 1911 (same 11 deg. grip angle). Unlike the Glock, Steyrs shoot lead with the factory barrel. The Steyrs are at least (or more accurate) than Glocks.

The trigger reset on the Steyr is much shorter than the Glock, and the trigger is crisper (that's not saying much given triggers on polymer guns). The bore axis is lower than the Glock and combined with its buffering system the recoil feels more like a hyped-up .22 than a 9mm. I've never shot a softer 9mm.

The Steyr has built-in light rails and metal NOT plastic sights--the front sights are dovetailed. I like the trapezoidal sights. Unlike the Glock, the Steyr has several safeties--the "safe" trigger, a manual safety, a loaded chamber indicator, and an integrated key lock. You can use the Steyr like a Glock or use any or all of the safeties -- none get in the way.

The fit and tenifer finish is every bit as good (if not better) than the Glock. It's a quality gun. This is from a 1911 afficiando.

Dunno. I don't care for my Steyr M40 much. Just doesn't strike me as very accurate out of the box. Any idea on the level of break-in I need to go through to get it shooting right, as shooting it side-by-side with a new Kimber Custom Blassic and a new Ruger GP100 (tax refunds are grand) along with an older 9mm Ruger SP101, there were times where my brother-in-law and I literally could not touch the target with any reliability but were hitting dead center over and over with the Kimber and 9mm and coming close with the .357?

Maybe I have a bad model, maybe I'm not being patient enough, or maybe I'm just not doing it right, but color me unimpressed. Is my situation atypical?

I'm honestly thinking of unloading it next weekend while it still has little wear-n-tear.

I have two Steyrs: an M40 and an M357. They're both great shooters, and keepers. I prefer the Glock's trigger reset, because it is easier to feel (the felt "click" on my M40 and M357 is not as pronounced). I also plan to replace the sights with Trijicons, as soon as Trijicon makes them available.

Have had an M40 for a year and feel it is a marked improvement over Glock. No spongy stamped trigger guts, decent pull, nice wide trigger face, metal mag tube always drops free, trigger reset @ least as good or better than Glock but not as good as Walther P99. Given what Glock charges for their Pistols wonder if they could make the same as Steyr M @ same $ point? Sights are good and very precise but need partridge type as option/afermarket to allow continuity with others if not ones "only" pistol. Mags can't be had for less than $30 opposed to ca. $15 Glock mags. Steyr points "high" compared to Glock. All in all a superlative pistol compared to Glock or stand alone.

I'm guessing that you guys already know that the Steyr M-series was designed by a gentleman who used to work for Glock. Gaston sent him down the road to Steyr because there was no way that Glock could fill its current orders for pistols, much less take on a new line.

That being said, the things that turned me off the most about the Steyr's are the sight pattern and the grip. I couldn't get used to that triangle up front, and it felt like I was jamming my hand up under the slide.

Once again, I am very, very happy that there are many manufacturers making a wide variety of pistols so we can all find the one(s) that fit us best!

Have had their S9 about 6weeks now. Like it more than the 19. It recoils less, is more accurate and the trigger is much improved. I like the safety capability. I think the company is trying and thats a good sign in the industry. They seem very responsive. The Glock corporate elitist attitude is old. It will be interesting to see which brings a single stack 26 sized gun to market first. Still, the inherent problem with either design is their widths. Kahr is on the right track, but I would like that Austrian engineering.

I'm still waiting for that .45 ACP Steyr that uses 1911 magazines.

Will sights made for any other pistols work with the M series? If I were a pistol designer, I'd design my pistol for maximum compatibility with accessories already available in the marketplace.

The Steyr and the Glock are some of the ugliest guns I've seen. I like the smaller glocks like the G26. But the bigger ones?...

Don't Steyrs cost another $200 plus over the Glocks?

And why don't tactical teams use Steyrs like they do Glocks, Sigs, or HKs?

Don't Steyrs cost another $200 plus over the Glocks?

No, not that I've seen. Both seem to retail new for $475-$575.

And why don't tactical teams use Steyrs like they do Glocks, Sigs, or HKs?

The M pistols haven't been on the market very long. Just like the Glocks, they'll need to develop a track record before they'll gain institutional acceptance.

Back