Steyr M series Design Flaw???

twoblink

Calling all Steyr M series owners, I need to verify!

Have the slide racked back, chamber empty, and slam a loaded magazine into it. The slide racks forward automatically (or at least in mine), same problem as the old HK's! Anybody else have this problem?

I'm wondering:

1) Is it a design flaw? I don't want the slide to rack forward when I insert a magazine.

2) Was it by design?

3) Something is just too loose? I think when you insert a loaded magazine, it pushes slide back just enough to release the tension on it from the slide lock pin.

I am not too happy about this fact, but I need to know if this is just my gun or the entire series.

Pete?

Albert

Twoblink, I've got an M-40, and replicated the scenario. It didn't happen with mine, so you should have Steyr fix it. If you haven't done this already, have them also upgrade your trigger for free, if you have an early Steyr model.

I for one really liked the slide drop on inserting a LOADED mag function of an HK Model 4 I once borrowed for a few shooting sessions.

Of course, on that thing the design feature was especially nice, as there was no external slide stop/release.

Much better than giving the slide the old slingshot treatment.

Think about it--if you're in doo-doo deep enough that you just fired your pistol to slide-lock, do you really want to be thinking about mashing a slide release?

For standard loading, I see no problems. If you don't like it, just drag your finger on the slide or capture it, while continuing to obey all 3 or 4 fundamentals of safety.

Chipper is right. If you slap it hard, the slide will often retract enough so that the slide release drops. The Border Patrol teaches this technique to speed reloads.

I have one aftermarket mag with my Beretta 9mm(USA mag) that when fully loaded, and slapped hard when inserting, will cause the slide to release and strip a round off and fall into battery. I have been able to replicate this if I do it hard enough, but it is only with this one mag.

Mike

Twoblink,

Yeah, I can get my M357 to auto-rack the slide forward if I slam the magazine hard into the pistol. I tend to get a little excited during drills. If I do it slowly, then it stays open.

I'm with you though. I'd like to close the slide when I want to, although it seems to save a step.

By the way. I've had this problem with more than a couple of my Glocks as well.

Let us know what GSI says.

cheers,
pete

My friend has an HK, and the HK 45's did that regardless how lightly you inserted the mag. He said that HK fixed it. I don't know, so I can't confirm or deny as far as HK goes.

I've shot an email off to GSI, didn't get a reply yet, will post the reply here when I get one. I assume they are having Turkey day off as well, and so I won't expect an answer until monday...

Albert

Back