Steyr "dragoon" scout .376steyr

TheBear

A buddy offered me his Steyr dragoon scout chambered in 376steyr, the recoil is too much for him, i shot five rounds with the gun, no problem for me (hes very slim, im not..).
Well, im a reloader so ammo cost wouldnt be a huge problem for me, but what about brass availability?
Anyone has experience with this cartridge? with this rifle? ive heard that the barrel is way to slim to provide good accuracy and it gets hot very fast.

I could get the rifle for 900 bucks, but im super sceptic about it...

Last edited:
hornady still makes brass and ammo and last check on gunbroker theres plenty of brass around. With the light barrel it either likes a load or hates it and you have to watch your cartridge AOL or you get feeding issues. If I had 900 I would snap it up ASAP with a 376 and a 308 ish cartridge you could shoot any critter that needed it and do it well.

As stated, there is still brass and ammo avialable. Hornady makes two loads, a 225 grain and a 270 grain. Both are loaded to the same velocity. The current price seems to be around $2 per round.

The 225 has significantly less kick. ;)

Forgot the second half of the question. I have only fired a max of 40 rounds in a session. The max range I have tried is 300 yards. At that range the accuracy was not to hot with the built in bi-pod, it is too flimsly. Up to 200 yards the gun was field grade accurate. I am not a bench rest guy so this was good enough for me.

I did not notice any temp issues.

Last edited:
Back