Stevens Model 24 Over & Under 22 & 410

Pjoflan

Inactive
I just inherited my dad's Air Force survival gun - a Stevens over & under 22 & 410. The firing pin won't work on the 410. It will fire when I hold it vertical & shoot it up in the air but won't when I hold it horizontal. It feels like it could be a missing spring or just a broken firing pin. Any suggestions? Anyone know where I might find firing pin parts for such an old gun? Heard Stevens stopped making firing pins & other parts for these. The 22 shoots fine.

Any advice out there?

Pjoflan

It's been a long time but been thar

These combos are a favorite of many hunters. As stated before, I have never seen one that did not have a problem even though very minor. Popping or snapping the firing pin was very common and usually caused by dry firing. I can recall one time when when I heard the tip of the firing pin fly out the end of the barrel. Some gun smiths use to have a drawers full of replacement pins. i have made my own, out of and old screw driver shank. Just have to find the right diameter. On the shotgun, you should see the round tip of the firing pin, when you force it to protrude out. Again, it should be rounded. If it's still there but does not protrude, then you have a dirt problem. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I think the idea of getting one machined is probably the best bet. Those guns are a good combo gun for small game hunting.

Back