Stevens Model 14 Little Scout

Mosin-Marauder

Hello,

I found my great grandfather's old Stevens Model 14 Little Scout. It was made in 1908, however the one piece stock is somewhat blackened as it has survived a house fire, though the stock did not "burn", so I am going to get a gunsmith to ensure it is safe to fire. Anyway, that brings me to the stock. I will no doubt save it, but I'm wondering how I could replace it? As I don't think refurbishing it is possible. What options do I have as far as a new stock? Also, the front sight is missing and it does not have a dove tail, so I'm assuming it was fixed in place, and it snapped off with use, so what options do I have here? Make a Dovetail and put a sight in?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

What a cool find, and a sweet little rifle.

I'd do no more than clean and oil the stock. Same for the rest of the rifle also for that matter. Frontier pad with oil for any rust build-up, but don't mess with the patina, it belongs there.

I don't recall what the front sight was like on those. If possible I'd replace with original type, if the barrel has been lopped, a dovetail. jd

I will see about cleaning the stock. I expect it's going to be a sweet little shooter. Plus the rolling block type action on it is super cool. It's bore looks like it's in pretty good condition for being over 100 years old.

I believe those guns used a simple "board" stock. If so, it would be easy to fabricate one from a length of walnut the proper width.
Your gunsmith can advise about the sight.

I believe those guns used a simple "board" stock. If so, it would be easy to fabricate one from a length of walnut the proper width.
Your gunsmith can advise about the sight.

I think Bill's about right on that. It would be one of the easiest to produce stocks there is, like most of the "boy's rifles" of the day. If it is sound and functional though, I'd leave it as is; makes a good story. jd

Back