Stevens High Power 425 cal 35 REM

Roy Norway

Inactive
A friend of mine have found a Stevens High Power Nickel Steel 425 Cal 35 Rem.with this Pat.Mar 1529.1910. I found this when going trow things afther his father who passed away some mounths ago.
We wounder if anyone can tell us some more about this rifle. Is it rear? Whats the value? Can it be used for hunting today without any service? The rifle looks to be in good condition.

Neat old guns from a different era when lever action was king. I would advise having a gunsmith check it out, they have not been produced for 75 years. One word of caution: parts are not available, so if you break it it will probably be dead.

Wow. Been a long time since I've heard about the 425.

Despite being very nice rifles, with a very nice "line" to them, they simply couldn't compete against Winchester, Marlin, and Savage rifles.

Records say that 26,000 were supposedly made, but most collectors think that the actual number sold is about 1/4th that, and the rest may well have been scrapped. There are some discussions about serial numbers on the web, and it seems that the highest one anyone has ever encountered is 5200 or so.

What serial number range is yours?

They were chambered for the .25, .30, .32, and .35 Remington cartridges, but it seems that the .35 is the most commonly encountered today.

what you don't know

I was not aware of the Stevens 425, nor any other rifle chambered in the rimless Remington centerfires, other than the more common Rem pump and auto rifles. What an interesting thread.

The Stevens 425 is a sleek, handsome rifle too.

"nor any other rifle chambered in the rimless Remington centerfires, other than the more common Rem pump and auto rifles."

The Marlin 336 was chambered in .35 Remington, and there were a number of bolt-action rifles that chambered for those rounds, but overall, no, not a lot of selection.

I always thought that Savage would have done well chambering the .35 in the Model 99.

others

Well, I suppose what I meant was vintage rifles, but I should have remembered that the Marlin 336 came in .35, and there were some runs of Rem 760 pump family in .35 too. Seems like Savage made the 170 pump in .35 as well.

That said, still, I'd never heard of the Stevens 425.

Back