Stevens Cut-down

Racingsnake

When the NYPD cut down the Steven side by side - what length would it have been to, or to put it another way what the best and legal length for a side by side cut down?

Regards, Racingsnake

The fed legal minimum length on a shotgun barrel is 18". If you are considering cutting off a s/s barrel, consider you possibly have a hollow section under the rib and between the barrels you will have to contend with to make it look like anything but a garage job.

18 1/2" gives you a little boo-boo room and you will be amazed at how compact such a double is, with a 12" LOP. Cut the stock and mount a good pad while you're at it.

Any space between the barrels can be filled with Liquid Steel, which can be filed and sanded once set When you mount the new bead, take care to precisely center it on the rib. I've done a half-dozen such jobs over the years and probably half of them would bust a coffee cup at 15 long steps, with a slug from either barrel.

I looked at a Stevens the other day that has already been cut down.

The job has been done very well and the bead re-installed professionally.

The barells are now at +-15 inches but I don't live in the US.

What are your thoughts on the effectiveness of barrels this short - has the previous owner gone too far?

Many would own them here if it weren't an NFA item...

For many purposes they serve well in some folks eyes... Is it a sholder stock or sawed off? I would like a short barrel gun with a shoulder stock....:D

Brent

Typical peak pressures are realized in the 12-14"range so 15 should be fine in that regard, although recoil, ANY semblance of swing dynamics and handling are completely out the window

Short barrels

Thinking about a SG with barrels that short brings the Italian Lupara to mind and the Howdah pistols as well. Dangerous but of limited use.
I am also reminded of early BP blunderbusses, though single barreled. I have one that has only a fourteen inch barrel. Not good for much but it is a hoot to shoot since when it goes off everything is right there not too far from your nose.
Pete

snake said:
The barells are now at +-15 inches but I don't live in the US.

What are your thoughts on the effectiveness of barrels this short - has the previous owner gone too far?

I've used a 14" copshop 870 enough to conclude that I like it far better than any shotgun I was ever previously issued.

You wouldn't think 4" of barrel would make so much difference, but the 14" gun is light years ahead of the 18 inch guns in close quarters; and it gives up nothing in performance. Mine is a cylinder bore and it prints slugs & 00 Buck the same as our 18" cylinder bore shotguns.

I've been fishing around for a nice, cheap old 870 and the other day I found one. I''ll eventually apply for the NFA paperwork on this one. My plan, once approved, is to add a +1 extension and a 14 1/2" tube with a screw-in I/C choke.

That double gun mentioned in the OP is one type I would love to own but if I were to get into NFA items, here in the states, it would be to start with silencers....

Brent

Back