Stevens 67 trouble

hardworker

Got a stevens model 67 that won't eject reliably. I am thinking that tightening the ejector would be the first attempt at a fix. Would step 2 be to buy a new ejector?

I should clarify some more. It grabs the shell out of the chamber but when you draw the slide all the way back it drops the shell down into the loader. Is anyone familiar with these guns?

Last edited:
The extractor, on the bolt, is what withdraws the shell from the chamber.

The part that expels the shell from the receiver is a separate part, the ejector, and is disfunctional either due to dirt/crud and/or broken parts - there's no "tightening" them, AFAIK.

A disassembly & inspection seems to be indicated - you might be able to get away with a thorough cleaning.

I think you should do a complete cleaning. It's pretty easy to do but the buttstock has to be removed using a long flat tip. The buttstock retaining screw holds the trigger assembly in place, so it has to come out first. Good luck.

Yeah we just did that. Trying it on empties right now because I don't want to risk a slamfire in my apartment. Seems to be working better but I won't know for sure until I shoot it.

The extractors did not look too worn and neither did the ejector. How much spring tension should there be on the extractors? I didn't shoot any oil in it because I wanted to keep it from gunking up from burnt gunpowder.

Whoever did this last must have soaked it in graphite because everything was gunked up from it.

Last edited:
I used remoil on all moving parts. The spring tension seems light on the extractors even when new. Hope it works out for you.

Same Problem

I have a Savage Model 79, and it is very similar to that gun. It is extremely unreliable, it doesn't eject or extract a lot of the time.

Back