Stevens 59a bolt questions

Cheapshooter

I have a Stevens 59a that needs a new extractor on the left side. I tried the method as described on various gun boards threads from a few years back to get the worn one out. Pushed back the plunger, but the extractor would not come out for anything. I had soaked it good in Kroil, and it does move freely, and the spring pushes it back in place.
The new extractor does not look quite the same but I won't know until I get this one out.
Also, the righty extractor, and bolt head have a groove in them virtically across the extractor. I do not see that groove on any schematic of this gun. It looks like someone cut a slice in it with a Drimmel tool!
The bolt head is listed as available from Numrich, but I have not yet found how to remove it from the bolt body.
Does anybody know how to remove the head from the bolt body? If I can get igt off I will just get a new one, and the parts for the right extractor so everything is new.

I've made several pushers for extractor plungers, and you may have to make one, or modify a punch so it has a angled tip.

First, you want to put the bolt in a vise. Next, you need a narrow and tapered tool, to fit against the plunger face, to push it in with. You don't want to put the tool all the way back to where it is against the extractors tail, but just on the plunger face enough to depress it in. While doing this, use pliers to give the extractor enough force to slip by the depressed plunger, and push out the tool.

The plunger should push in enough, that the hole is clear for the extractor tail to come past it.

I'd advise doing this in a disassembly box/cabinet, to trap the plunger and spring, if they fly out. In a pinch, you can make one out of a cardboard box, with two arm holes, and some stretch wrap over the top, so you can see what you're doing, while not losing the plunger and spring. You would have to cut a hole in the bottom of the box, to slide it over a small bench vise.

Thanks. How about removing the bolt head? Any idea of how it is held to the bolt body. With that slot cut in it, and the extractor on the right side I think I want to replace the whole thing, with new extractors on both sides.

I see it now. Part #12 on the schematic. Bolt head retainer pin. I thought tgere was a pin, but it looked odd with an angled face on each end. I didn't want to try too hard to drive it outif it weren't a pin.

Back