Stevens 520 help please

jmstr

Hello,

New to me Stevens 520 from around 1910-11.

I am running into an issue or two and could use some insights from those with experience.

First concern: When I wrack the slide closed I cannot release the slide to eject an unfired round. The button on the side doesn't do anything until after I have pulled the trigger. This is obviously an issue if I want to eject an unfired round. Any suggestions?

Second concern: Slide arm/bolt carrier interaction and can't disassemble.

When I unscrew the mag tube properly to separate the two halves, I cannot pull the slide forward enough for disassembly.

The hook on the slide arm does not want to disengage from the bolt/block carrier.

It looks like it is designed so that I can tamp the barrel section down to a specific point and the slide arm would drop down in the receiver groove. I am guessing doing this is supposed to disengage the hook from the carrier, but it doesn't disengage.

Since it won't disengage I cannot pull the slide forward for disassembly.

The only way I've been able to disassemble it was to remove the trigger group and then use screwdrivers to pry the bar until I could pull it forward enough to release it.

Is the solution to remove just a smidge from the hook tip so that it engages firmly when the barrel/receiver are locked up properly, but with enough remove so that I can pull it out of the carrier when the barrel section drifts down 1/8" or so, pulling the bar down that far?

Any other suggestions for the second issue?

Any tips would be appreciated for this firearm.

Thank you

The slide release will have to be depressed to rack the slide. It may be stiff so bear down on it. To break it down pull the slide back and turn the magazine tube clockwise until it stops. Push the slide forward and the barrel assembly will drop down out of the receiver.

Check youtube for disassembly instructions.
If the slide won't release the forearm, turn it upside down and tap little taps with rubber hammer while jiggling it.

Back