Stevens 512 O/U trigger

mjes92

I recently purchased my first O/U a Stevens 512. A Christmas present for my youngest daughter who is getting darn good at Sporting Clays.

I think the Stevens 512 will fit her very well, but the trigger pull has a lot to be desired. You almost have to stand on it to fire. Is a spring kit commercially available for this gun? Or is a trigger sear job required to make an improvement? The thumb safety is also rather stiff and I'm wondering if a simple spring change would help???

I have installed a number of trigger spring kits for handguns, but I know next to nothing about O/U shotguns. I have been quoted $55 per sear.($110 total) Is that reasonable? Any Recommendations .............

Thanks

No, no, and no. No spring kits, you would need to find someone good with shotguns to do the sears. No, the spring for the safety also holds the safety in place. And no, I would not recommend taking it apart and messing with it unless you really know what you are doing. $110 for a trigger job on an O/U is a steal. Just make sure the person knows what they are doing or it will start doubling.

If it has that stiff a trigger pull, something isn't right, and it should be looked at by a Gunsmith. A 6 pound pull is about right for a factory trigger pull. Springs wont help that, since most of the problem is in the sears.

Thank You Gentlemen.
That's the kind of advice I'm looking for. Bite the bullet and get it done right.

Thanks Again.

I have this exact gun apart right now due to a broken selector reel pin or screw. I don't think these are the most well build metal wise. Lots of posts with firing pin breaks breech face cratering, and others. I would shoot a few hundred rounds thru it and make sure it is holding up before sinking more money into it.

The sear/trigger has a very positive angle with large engagement surface. This makes for a heavy and long pull. This job needs done at a smith and the cost sounds reasonable.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/stevens_512.pdf

Back