Stevens 200 Versus Remington 700 ADL

Dr MoonUnit

So, if my local gun store hadn't closed early today I would be the proud owner of a Stevens Model 200 in .308. As it is I am waiting until Monday. So with time on my hands I kept looking. Academy lists a Remington 700 ADL for $349.99?

But why isn't the ADL that popular? I know i've been reading about issue with safety on the 700 recently. Would after market accessories still fit the ADL?

I have both...in .223...and have never had trouble with the 700 safety....but...I do just as good shooting/ and have just as good of luck with the stevens as the rem.

I personally would prefer the Remington, but thats just me, not that the Stevens aren't solid entry level guns. Parts are widely more available for the 700 at least more easily, and most smiths are readily more likely to work on a 700 than the Stevens.

If the price was the same or nearly so, I'd go with the Rem 700 over the Stevens. All things being equal I prefer the bolt and the trigger, and after market stocks offered in the Rem 700 vs. that of the Stevens. The Remington trigger is able to be adjusted better than the Stevens, but more than likely I'd replace both with something else. Plus the 700 has fewer parts to the bolt than the Stevens. The new Stevens and Savage centerfeed rifles witht the 4.4" screw spacing just doesn't have the options (yet) in replacing the stock that the Rem 700 does.

Stevens here.Not that Rem's are not good,but if accuracy is what your after the Rem will not hold a card to the Stevens.

I have a Remington 700ADL Varmint in 308 and a Savage model 11 in 308. Both rifles are very accurate, smooth bolt operation and so forth. You can't go wrong with either. Go with which ever is at a better price.

They are both good for the $. There are alot of aftermarket parts for each also. If your not going to change much I'd go with the Remmy. If you might want to change the barrel later I'd go with the Stevens, simply cause you can do it your self with a few cheap tools.

Stevens here.Not that Rem's are not good,but if accuracy is what your after the Rem will not hold a card to the Stevens.

I have not found this to be true at all. I'd say the accuracy out of the box is very similar between the two.

I have a Stevens 200 in .30-06. Great shooter. It's maybe the most accurate rifle I own. Once I realized its accuracy potential, I decided to get a better stock. The factory stock was fine, but dang did that outfit kick! I bought a Hogue overmolded stock for this fall and put it on. It kicks much more manageably now.

Stevens are accurate but got pretty bad triggers the finish ain't very good stocks are BAD.

Both my remis will shoot under an inch. Triggers are a LOT better so are the stocks and the finish.

Think after buying a trigger for a savage you might as well have bought a remi.

I own both buy the remi!!!

Well if you want a short action rifle then go with the 7mm-08, it is a little more expensive to shoot than the .270, .308 or .30-06. Plus it offers nearly the same performance as a .270 Win. Out of the two choices you mentioned I'd pick the .270 Win but I'm just partial to it. I have both and love to shoot my .270 over the .30-06.

Last edited:
The ADL was replaced with the SPS
ADLs (no floor plate and listed as 'ADL's) are still made by Remington, and are sold through various discount retailers such as Dicks or Academy.
They're a downgrade from the SPS, which is just a BDL with a cheaper floorplate, a variety of stocks, and a matte black finish instead of bluing.

Back