Stevens 200; Stock Fitting

Dr MoonUnit

I'm not a huge fan of synthetic stocks and plan on acquiring a wood/laminate stock. A Ross Featherweight from Boyd's to be exact. But heres the note quoted from their website.

WE DO NOT AT THIS TIME MAKE THE STOCK FOR THE 1ST GENERATION SHORT ACTION (1958-1987) 4.522" OR THE 3RD GENERATION CENTER FEED MAGAZINE SHORT ACTION (2005 AND UP) OR THE 3RD GENERATION LONG ACTION CENTER FEED MAGAZINE DESIGN.
THE EASIEST WAY TO TELL WHAT ACTION YOU HAVE IS TO DISASSEMBLE YOUR GUN. THE STOCKS WE BUILD ARE FOR ACTIONS THAT HAVE THE STEEL MAGAZINE-WELL ATTACHED TO THE RECEIVER. THE 3RD GENERATION CENTERFEED MAGAZINE WILL STAY IN THE STOCK .

And it is a new Center-feed model. Do I have to modify the stock to fit or can I order parts from Savage to make it fit?

I had the same issue a few months back when ordering a Hogue overmolded stock for a Stevens 200 .30-06. That gun was accurate, but kicked like a mule with the original gray stock. It was not one of the newer "center feed" but rather the original staggered mag type (where the mag is attached to the action). Ayway, it was difficult to determine which Savage OEM model I needed from the choices on the website. I called the company and they told which option to order. Demand is high apparently and it was back ordered for a while, but when it arrived, I found that it appeared based on the directions and fittings included, to be usable on either (center feed or staggered) stock. I followed the directions for my type and it fit perfectly.

It is a whole different gun now. I love the feel of the overmolding vs hard plastic (or even wood) and the recoil is much more tolerable. The gun is a bit heavier, but it was well worth it. Hopefully Boyd's will be able to steer you as well as Hogue did if you contact them directly.

You'll have to notch the rear action screw to hold the "L" bracket that retains the magazine to the stock. If you have a long action Stevens 200 that is the only modification you'll have to do. If it is a short action Stevens you'll have to move the front action screw forward by a little since the old spacing was 4.275" and the center feed spacing is 4.40". I know they are a more expensive opton but Stocky's Stocks has a laminated thumb hole replacement stock that fits the center feeds without modification.

Stocky's Take: The LRS forend is a "drop-in fit" for standard sporters and magnum barrel channels with little or no modification necessary for most rifles. (Always be sure to check for fit and function prior to live firing.)

Savage / Stevens 200 Short Action (fits the newer 4.40" Top Load / Centerfeed only) stocks have been fitted to the Stevens 200 barreled action, very minor modifications may be necessary for other models (such as the Savage 10 short action.) These units are for blind magazines (no floorplate, trigger guard inlet only.) You may either convert your rifle to a blind magazine (just get a few inexpensive parts by calling Savage's parts department, click here for the parts needed) if it's not already, or have the bottom of the stock machined for your hinged or DM floorplate by a qualified individual.

Back