Stevens 200 or Remington 700ADL (and why)

condoor

Inactive
So I was pretty much set to get a Stevens 200 in .30-06 for $289, but I came across a NIB Remington 700ADL for $325 and was wondering if it's worth the extra $36 for the Remington. I've heard nothing but good things about the Stevens, and don't know much about the 700ADL.

Come one - come all - help!

Remington 700. I would definently pay the extra $36 dollars for the Remington. The 700 is a very rugged and accurate design and easily upgraded if you want. There is a lot more assecories and mounts available for it than the Stevens. I also believe the trigger will be more user friendly to adjust than the Stevens. I dont believe the Stevens comes with the accu-trigger. I personally have never seen a 700 that did not shoot well and I have fired alot of them. I'm assuming the ADL you found is the ADL Synthetic for that price. I have a 700 ADL Sythetic in .300 Win Mag and it is a great shooter. My father in-law has a ADL in .30-06 and he loves it. The Stevens is still a great rifle, but I personally believe you will get more for your money with the Remington. The 700 will have better resale value than the Stevens in case you needed to get rid of it in the future also. Now if you were asking between the Remington 770/710 and the Stevens then that would be a different story and I would say the Stevens would be the one to pick. Hope this helps.

Condor, you ought to buy what you like, and you'll probably do very well with either choice.

That said, $325 for a Remington 700 is a great price. Remington makes an accurate rifle, and the 700 action is a good one. It'll have the Remington name, which helps a little bit with resale value (if that means anything to you). Lots of aftermarket stuff for the Remmie (not sure about the Stevens). But both are good guns.

Let me ask you this: when you shoulder each rifle, which feels better to you? Try that, and buy the one that feels the best on your shoulder.

P.S. Remington has a rebate program going on now; I'm not sure that it covers the ADL, or whether it covers all Remmie 700 rifles (you'll have to check Remington's website about this), but I'm pretty sure that if you buy a Remington 700, you'll get a $50.00 rebate check from Remington, which would bring the price down to $275! :cool: Check it out, but overall, buy whichever feels best to you.

Fremmer -
Good advice, but I have to be honest I've shouldered a half dozen guns and they all kinda feel the same to me. I checked into the remington rebate and they're offering $30 on ADLs so that brings the price on the Remi down to $295 - almost seems criminal not to buy a 700 for under $300. I'm definitely leaning on the 700 at this point.

I know the Stevens/Savage is known to be an accurate rifle. Will the 700 accuracy be as good?

The Remington action is the basis for many fine custom target rifles. Over all the 700 is on of the more accurate rifles you'll find.
Given a similar price I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Remington over the Stevens.

Yah, just putting a rifle to your shoulder isn't really a very good test of which will fit you better. Unfortunately gun shops don't let you borrow the rifle and shoot a few rounds.

I'd also probably give the slight edge to the 700. Just make sure it really is a 700 and not the 770 (which is a re-labeled 710).

I like my Stevens 200. Very accurate also.
t2.jpg

I went to wally world yesterday to get the 700 but walked out with a Savage 110 with the accutrigger, and scope combo for $364. From what I've been seeing that's a decent deal on the savage 110 with accutrigger, but probably not as good as the 700 deal.

I tried to like the remmi but I just didn't. I liked the action, stock, finish and safety better on the savage, and overall it just 'felt' better to me. I'll put a burris on in it in place of the simmons and throw the simmons on a .22 and will be into the whole deal for around $525.

Either way I have a deer rifle now. - went with the .30-06

Thx to all for your posts!!

Congrats on the new rifle. There is nothing wrong with the Savage you got. Sounds like a pretty good deal, especially with the accu-trigger. I'm a Remington man myself but whats important is you got the rifle that fit you better and felt more comfortable to you. Thats all that matters. Now have fun shooting and good luck hunting.

Back