Stevens 200 7mm-08

TChase

Academy had a sale last week on these. They were asking $179 so I picked one up out of curiosity. I put a Nikon 3-9x40mm on it and went to the range to see how it would perform. I was super surprised. After one adjustment, it was making a clover leaf at 50 yards no problem- with Remington 120GR HP. Yes, I know 50 yards isn't much of an indicator, but I had only bore sighted it and I HATE wasting ammo trying to start on 100 yards. I was in a hurry so I didn't get a chance to move on to the 100 yard target. I am taking it pig hunting this weekend so hopefully I will have a report on how it does in the field.

I wanted to get a throw around bolt action that I wouldn't worry about messing it up. This is definitely it.

I have around $380 in the entire set up :D. Well worth it in my opinion.

Stevens $179
Nikon 3-9x40mm $99 (also on sale)
EGW Base $39.99
Burris Extreme Tactical Rings $49.99

Sounds like the perfect truck gun to me, but I'll save comment on my Nikon opinions.

To me, the 7mm-08 is one of the finest cartridges out there. Its a handoaders dream, accurate and mild recoil. You can take about anything out there with it in the lower 48 with the exception of large bears. And on whitetails, its just devastating. I shoot 150grn Nosler BT's in mine because they have great accuracy and pack a helluva punch on the receiving end, I've only had one deer run after being hit by one and that was with his heart missing and half his lower jaw blown off on the exit.

I have been reading about the negatives on the Stevens in 7mm-08. The only thing I have found is the twist rate. I believe it is a 1 in 11.5". I suppose I will have to stick with the 120gr's and 140gr's for loading. Not much when it comes to BC's in those weights. I think a 120gr will be sufficient for deer/pigs.

I had one a couple of years ago. set it up for the wife for deer. I was handloading 120grn bullets. very acurate for a light wieght rifle.

TChase said:
I have been reading about the negatives on the Stevens in 7mm-08. The only thing I have found is the twist rate. I believe it is a 1 in 11.5". I suppose I will have to stick with the 120gr's and 140gr's for loading. Not much when it comes to BC's in those weights. I think a 120gr will be sufficient for deer/pigs.

BCs almost never matter for hunting anyway and you don't need much bullet to kill a deer. My 7-08 is loaded with 110gr Barnes TTSX. BANG! Flop!

Saltydog235 said:
To me, the 7mm-08 is one of the finest cartridges out there. Its a handoaders dream, accurate and mild recoil. You can take about anything out there with it in the lower 48 with the exception of large bears

I agree.... almost. The 7-08 is entirely sufficient for any animal in North America, if properly loaded for the task. Certainly anything in the lower 48.

Back