Stepping into Zoot Shooting

Doublestack

Hi folks!

Well, we are about to take the dive and start our own "Zoot Shooting" Club. We have been in contact with the founders, and will be having our first Zoot Shoot in July. It looks like it will be a blast. I think this discipline is gonna be a big hit. You can be "The Untouchables" or a member of Capones gang, and anything else from the 20s and 30s.

http://www.zootshooters.com/sport.html

PS, Tommy Guns are ultra-cool!:cool:

DS

Last edited:
That sounds awesome. I might pick up a cheap RIA GI 1911 just for that. If Kahr's tommy gun knockoffs worked worth a hoot I'd grab one of those too (I've heard about 50% of owners never get them to work right, 50% get a very good shooter). I need a S&W Model 10 anyway.

Otherwise, yeah, I think it could really take off. If I had the disposable income, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I agree it sounds awesome!

Going to go ahead & move this over to Competition. The link will stay in Gen'l Disc for a week, gradually sinking down the page.

pax

How strictly is the "period correctness" of firearms enforced? For example, would my S&W M28 or Colt Cobra be considered close enough to a Registered Magnum or Detective Special to be allowed?

Webleymkv,

We are using the guidlines set forth by the founders of the sport for the most part, but we are making up the unwritten rules as we go. We plan to start out very informal just to get our feet wet and not get too picky. We shall see how it shapes up.

Overkill 556x45,
From what I understand, Kahr bought out Auto Ordinance. Mine says Auto Ordinance Corporation on one side of the receiver, and Thompson Semi-Automatic Carbine / Model 1927 A-1 on the other. No problems so far. I just need it to get through the day. I am not looking for fierce competition here. Just plan on dressing funny and going back in time a bit. All the while having a bunch of fun with my shooting friends.

Pretty much what I have been doing with Cowboy Action Shooting for 10 years, but turning the clock ahead a few decades!:)

DS

Webleymkv,

We are using the guidlines set forth by the founders of the sport for the most part, but we are making up the unwritten rules as we go. We plan to start out very informal just to get our feet wet and not get too picky. We shall see how it shapes up.

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like a great deal of fun. CAS always looked fun to me, but I've always been more interested in early to mid 20th century guns than in old west types.

This sounds like as good an excuse as any to get me a pencil barreled S&W revolver ala curio and relic to compliment my 1911! :D

DS

It sounds like a lot of fun. I had a good time for several years with CAS but it was getting harder and harder to find clubs that hadn't been taken over by the "gamers" who seemed to be forgetting the whole "it's just for fun and social interaction" aspect.

Hopefully you guys can hang onto the "fun" aspect of the "Zoot Shoots" for a while before someone starts trying to make money on it.

Back