Sten MK's

According to the Sten machine carbine pamphlet (#22) The main points of difference are: Mark I - Fixed barrel with full length casing, perforated and fitted with swing swivel, flash eliminator, & foresight protectors. wooden fore-end with folding forward hand grip. Skeleton butt: fixed magazine housing.
Mark II - no woodwork, removable barrel with no flash eliminator. tubular butt. foresight at end of breech casing.
Mark III - breech casing continued forward to form barrel casing with a rib running full length along the top; foresight, with no protectors, at muzzle end. casing, trigger mechanism not fixed by screws, but sprung on. mark II type of butt.
Hope this helps!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Keenan:
AFAIK, all STENs are selective fire.

Jim
[/quote]

Sorry to get picky here, but doesn't select fire mean that you have a semi-auto option as well? I don't believe that was present on the Sten, but I've never handled one either.

badgerarms--
Yup, SELECTIVE fire. The Marks I, II, III, and V all had a push-through slelector button above and slightly forward of the trigger guard. Pressed from the left, to the right, you had semi-suto firing. The left side of this button was marked "R" for "repetition." Pushed flrom the right (marked "A" for "Automatic,") you had full automatic fire.

Marks IV and VI had similar selector, but it was relocated, because there were much more compact guns.

Some of this information comes from SMALL ARMS OF THE WORLD, by Smith & Smith. I have only fired one Sten, a Mk II, and that one for only two or three hundred rounds.

Best regards,
RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

[This message has been edited by Rocky Road (edited August 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rocky Road (edited August 12, 2000).]

Back