Steiner binoculars vs. other brands?

Nevada Fitch

I have been thinking about buying a new pair of binoculars for hunting to be carried around my neck most of the time for instant and continuious use. I am thinking about buying a Steiner 8X30 Military-Marine or Predator model. I looked at a 8X30 Military the other day and I believe it is a good compromise as far as size and weight that I want to put up with vs. usabllity. How do the Steiners stack up againt the competition in the price range of 200 to 300 dollars which happens to be in the same price range of these Steiners? Also what size binocular is best for the uses I have described? It seems to me that the real small ones like the 10X25s and the 8X22s are not very user friendly for substained use. I have always owned 10X50s or 7X50 in the past and while they work very well, they are too big to carry around much. Even the 7X35s are too big to hang around my neck for long. What does everyone else use?

Without getting into recommendations, I highly recommend reading the article on binoculars in the latest "American Rifleman"!! It answered a LOT of my questions.

The article Doug mentioned is worth reading if you plan on buying a binocular. As for the larger ones, have you tried those special straps that keep the weight off of your neck? They really help with my 10x40's. Also, what tybe of terain will you be using them in?

Bought the Steiner 8x30's from Whatacountry.com.

They'll charge you something silly like $20 for shipping, but what you get is a very useable pair of glasses for $150, total. I've only had cheap binocs in the past, and I'm very happy with these. They're not as large as I expected, either.

I have used the 8x30 Predators for several years and they are just fine. I am fortunate to have a pair of Leitz(now Leica)7x35 that Ihave used for nearly 20 years. Every new glass I consider is tested against them. I can also highly recommend Swarovski from long personal experience. Steiner keeps the price down by using polycarbonate bodies instead of metal. This also cuts the weight. You will never regret buying the best optics your budget will allow. Best, Rob

Sierra- minor wear marks. Kinda like a gun that's been carried, but not necessarily shot, a lot. No problem for me- I'll just be less concerned when I scuff it a mite. They do also have one without the marks for a bit more.

We used to love ourselves. We used to love one another.

Back