Steell shot and older shotguns

bspillman

I was thinking of doing some duck hunting this year and I wanted to try my jc higgens model 20. Would steel shot hurt my barrel? It does not have a power pack or poly choke and it is a modified choke.

Guns made after the late 1980's were specifically designed for use with steel shot. MOST older guns choked modified or more open will shoot steel without damage even though not specifically designed for it. Some will not, especially most of the older doubles. The problem is that the steel was very thin in most of the older doubles to reduce weight. I'm not sure about this gun though.

I wouldn't use steel in an older gun with any sentimental value just to be safe. I use an old pre WW-2 double from time to time. There are other non toxic options that are perfectly safe. They are expensive, but less expensive than ruining a famly heirloom.

bspillman: Your J. C. Higgins Model 20 is a variant of the High Standard Model 200 and was produced in the early 1960's.

It is definitely not suitable for steel shot. The use of steel shot can peen out the choke and possibly bulge or ring the barrel.

thanks for the replies eveyone. Can any one tell me what kind of shells i can use to hunt duck with if any with this gun? thanks again.

I have used bismuth non toxic shells in my wingmaster for duck hunting. Worked great for me. I believe there are some other steel alternatives as well.

With modern shotcups the risk of shot scoring the barrel is very slight. The early shotcups always had holes in them after firing; not the new ones. The risk to a tight choke is not so slight. I cannot abide adjustable chokes, and I don't know what their recommendation is for steel shot. I would think with modified you would be okay, but I do not know. What does PolyChoke say? They used to make most of the trade adjustable chokes as well as their own brand.

Back