Steel toes for hunting?

AndABeer

I went looking for some new boots today, dual purpose casual wear and hunting. My stop at Bass Pro was surprising as it seemed like a good third of the offerings were steel toed. I am required to wear steel toes at work and find them quite uncomfortable when compared to "normal" foot wear. Why would one wish to wear steel toes hunting?

I always wear the most comfortable shoes possible, no matter what I'm doing. Comfortable can mean many things to different people (ie dry, warm, ventilation) and I have yet to own a pair of steel toes that I would hunt in. But, I have not tried every pair. I'm sure there are some out there that are about as comfortable as non-steel toed.

Stinger

My preferred boot in dry country, with lots of rocks and cactus, is either the Russell Birdhunter or the Red Wing "20-mile". These are 10", lace-up. (Not recommended for snowy country, or wetlands.) I usually have a saddle-shop add a leather patch above the sole at the instep, as extra protection against rock-bruising.

I like a soft sole, preferably with no cleats or lugs. Most of the country I've hunted has been quite rocky, and the rocks are sharp-edged. The soft sole gives lots of friction against sliding off a mountain...

I've commonly done 12 to 15 miles a day in really rough country with these boots...

Steel toes? No way, for me. I want as light a weight as possible.

Art

Actually Steel Toes and Leather DO! help out in a heavy Cactus environment.

Like say West Texas and Southern New Mexico.

One Coachella Cactus in the Shins will convert you to using heavier boots.

One Word OUCH! :mad:

If you need a pair of comfortable steel toed boots. You should try on a pair of Justin Double Comfort Workboots. I don't think that the steel toes are as comfortable as the others but they're still very good. I wear them to work. Baling straw I'll have to walk around for about 12-14 hours a day and don't have any problems.
I have the lacers, they have a pull on type also.

Hunting I'd probably go with something lighter with a crepe sole. My ropers are much quieter to walk around in, but probably don't give enough support for some terrains. I do get in trouble for "sneaking" up on the lady that boards a horse in my barn. I never knew walking in and saying HI was sneaking up, but it continually scares her if she has her back turned :rolleyes:

Zorro, a cactus is a wuss compared to lecheguilla and catclaw. :) Ever notice how lecheguilla grows to just above boot-top height? There's a reason the local nickname is "it'll gitcha".

And I've seen times when I had to halfway get undressed to get a jacket or shirt loose from catclaw. Wretched stuff! Blue quail think it's prime habitat, the little devils...

:D, Art

I've worked in steel toed Red Wings for about 20 years now. Used to complain that steel toes sucked until I crushed my toes the second time (bit slow in the learning department there). Since I work 12 hour shifts, they have to be comfortable. Keep them waterproofed and also wear them hunting with no problems.

i hunted once or twice in steel toes before...it can get mighty cold here (s.d.) during hunting seasons, though. won't wear steel toes to hunt in anymore.

I've hunted waterfowl in a pair of steel-toed Sorels for about 15 years. They were a good deal at the time and just happened to have steel toes. Never had a problem with weight or cold, but then we usually hunt over decoys on the river.

They saved my toes more than a couple times when I was cutting firewood.

It does not get too cold here and I have used a well broken in pair of Red Wing steel toes boots to hunt a few times when it was dry.

Usually I wear a pair of hunting boots that are leather on top and rubber on the bottom. Thats needed here because of the wet conditions.

Right now the most comfortable shoes I own are a pair of low cut (they almost look like tennis shoes) steel toed shoes that I broke in on the rigs in Syria. I wear them more than anything else, and they are almost just as light as tennis shoes but are ANSI Z-41 rated.

Back