Steel target plans

BoogieMan

Not sure where this topic should go. Seeing as I usually shoot steel with handgun here it is.
I like to build my own steels and have been using AR400 (Havent found a good AR5000 source) with pretty good success. So far I have built gongs and 3 target hanging racks only. I would like to build a few other setups such as a dueling tree for rimfire and centerfire as well as some resetting targets. I have seen some pretty clever designs around the internet but the mechanism is never shown. Anyone know of prints (plans) available to build some? Or anyone have a good setup they would be willing to show some pictures of how it works?

Boy, some folks are really lazy in the morning.
Youtube has all kinds of how to videos for making reaction steel targets.
Here's a good one for dueling trees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtihYI4PKL8
There's the plans for it at the very end of the video.

For resetting targets, double spinners seem to be the easiest to make and the most reliable.
Mine are home made for .22, and store bought from Birchwood Casey World of Targets for centerfire.
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Targets/World-of-Targets.aspx

And, no, I'm not going to wash your car for you.

Last edited:
Laser Cut Targets

I recently had a laser cutting shop make me a set of AR400 gongs (1 @ 12", 2 @ 6", 4 @ 3") for $55 Canadian dollars. To give you an idea of their hardness, see the images below. If you would like the CAD files I can email them to you and I'm sure you can find a similar deal in your area.

The 12" target

attachment.php

12 gauge slug impacts

attachment.php

7.62x39mm FMJ impact

attachment.php

As you can see, the 12 gauge slugs cause significant damage, and the 7.62x39mm FMJ leaves a small dimple. The medium size impacts in the first photo are from a Ruger 10-22, and quite frankly the rimfire rounds do little more than clean the metal. We fired a few 9mm Luger rounds at it from a 3" shotgun adaptor and they were similar to the rimfire impacts.

Attachments

• IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1980.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Back