Steel shot in 5100?

DCR

I've got a Stevens 5100 sxs 12 ga, 24 in. barrels that I use for CAS. It's the only shotgun I own, and buying another is not an option right now. I have an opportunity to go duck hunting with a friend - can I shoot steel shot in it w/o doing damage to the gun? I've heard warnings about older shotguns, esp. sxs, not to use steel shot in them. Advice?

Not familiar with the model, but....

In theory, most modern shotguns choked less than Modified and properly chambered for the shells used should be OK, but a blanket statement could get someone killed, so let your smith take a look.

The worst that'll happen is you have a great excuse to get an 870(G)....

Thanks for your reply, Dave. The 5100, best as I can tell, is the same as a Stevens 311. Don't know if that makes a difference. I'll "drop a dime" to decide what my choke is.
- - - Don

DCR, I would stay away from steel shot in your 5100. You might be able to get away with it for a little while before doing damage, but why would you want to? Get a shotgun designed for steel shot. The ones that I like best have choke tubes with the choke portion out past the threads in the end of the barrel. I have seen steel shot choke tubes with the choke near the threaded portion inside the barrel expand enough to make them very difficult to get out. If you get one of the latter type of shotguns, be sure to remove, lube and replace the choke tube often.
Hope this helps-John K

Back