Steel Shot Chokes

Sea Buck

I am going to get into trap and skeet shooting. I would like to try clays also. My range has recently gone to steel shot only. What choke(s) should I use to ensure that I will not damage my barrel? What size shot should I use, # 8 ? I use a Remington Special Field, 20ga., English stock, with a 22 in. bbl(I think). I have used it for birds with full or Mod...close covers I/C.(Rem Chokes) Lead shot. I have a skeet choke, never used, should I use that? Thanks ahead of time.

Make sure the maker of the gun says OK to steel shot .
Steel shot has a thicker shot cup to protect the barrel so that makes a choke patterns smaller .My Benelli M1 90 with MOD and BB steel shot give me EXTRAEXTRAFULL patterns ! So you might try the next size more open choke .What ever you do you MUST pattern the shot foryour combination !

You'll want to use one constriction lighter for steel than you would for lead. At the price of steel ammo, I'd find another club where lead is allowed.

With screw in chokes you need to make sure the choke tubes are rated for steel. That gun is fine for steel. Assuming your gun has RemChokes, just make sure you use genuine RemChokes and you are okay with steel in anything Modified or more open. Remington also has a steel rated Full choke, but you shouldn't need it. With any other brand choke tubes, check with the manufacturer.

Back