Steel Match: 9mm: Crazy or Doable?

jwrowland77

Well I'm getting ready to try my very first Steel Match. I have a .22 but it's my wifes Taurus PT22. I carry and shoot though all the time at the range with my Walther PPS 9mm.

Am I crazy to try a Steel Match with my 9mm? If you had to choose between the two guns above, which would you choose and why?

What kind of steel event? If Speed on Steel, the .22 is a lot cheaper and easier to shoot. Obviously Knockdown steel is probably out of the question. Never saw anyone use a .22 for Knockdown. I have had issues with 9mm on Knockdown steel and not having enough poop to push the target over all the way with a single hit.

I actually didn't realize there were multiple steel events. This will be my first one. The guy running it did tell me I can bring my 9mm or a .22. I've heard though that the Taurus PT22 isn't the best to shoot fast though.

Oh, I don't even think I'll come anywhere close to winning, but I'm just trying not to look like an idiot showing up with a 9mm. LOL

Sounds like the match is a Steel Challenge type, or the fellow who invited you probably would not have mentioned .22.
So, either one of your pistols will do, as the targets are not knock down.
If this is the case, you would benefit from downloading the rule book and studying it, before the match.
http://steelchallenge.com/

I shoot steel with a Beretta 92fs, I've found that if the targets don't fall its because I missed them, not because I'm shooting a 9mm.

I also shoot steel with a Model 64 38 spl. Same thing, its about hitting the targets.

I've shot matches with steel using a 9mm. It seems to be iffy with 115gr WWB, but 124gr NATO pressure ammo works just fine.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Ok, the PT22 is a pocket gun? Pretty small? Use the 9mm. The PPS is not much bigger so it might be a bit of a challenge, either way.

In Steel Challenge, you shoot 5 targets on the stage under the clock. Then you reload, and repeat, so you shoot the stage 5 times. It is very helpful to have a bunch of mags or a few mags, with high capacity. I shoot SC with my Glock, with mag extensions, so I only reload once for the 25 rounds. :)

Back