Steel Frame pistols

nanney1

I’ve spent some time at the range renting metal frame DA/SA pistols. I’m finding that I shoot them much more accurately than polymer striker fired pistols. In fact, it’s a pretty dramatic difference in accuracy, especially with quick follow up shots.

Most recently, I rented a CZ 75C with a decocker - it was either a P01 or a PCR. I was just ok/average in DA but right on target in SA.

I have a competition pistol on the way that is DA/SA and now I’m thinking that I need more of these heavier pistols.

Yep, I knew it wasn’t as heavy as a steel frame, but still heavier than a polymer. But the trigger feel is the other part that is really selling me on these type of pistols.

I have both steel and polymer guns and I find that I shoot them about the same. While I just love my 1911's, I seem to inherently shoot my HK USP 45 and my P30S the best. They even have a slight edge on the CZ75 and SIG226.

As a Life Member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man-I shoot only steel frame pistols, I like their recoil dampening qualities and that elusive concept called "feel". In years gone by Bullseye shooters only used steel frames.

Yeah, double-action pulls are like that sometimes lol. I shoot striker-fired better than most DA/SA pistols. If it was a SA only pistol, I'd say I shoot them the same. But have to factor in that DA pull.

It could all just be in your head, though. They're both very different triggers.

I know that at least for me, I subconsciously factory in recoil impulse, grip, etc when choosing a pistol for carry. There's an "all-around" vault in my mind when I put two or three guns head to head on range day.

I use to have a s.s. colt officer's 45 in the late 80s, I enjoyed that gun and the heft was not a bother at all. I'd like that gun again with today's updates.

I'd say that the heavier the handgun...within reason...the better I shoot it, regardless of caliber...and for range time of an hour's duration and with a significant round count, steel makes the shooting more enjoyable due to its recoil absorbing weight. But for carry purposes, it's a toss up whether I carry an alloy frame or a poly-framed gun...because their weight is significantly less.

When going to town, currently, I spend most of my time with a Sig P365 (poly frame, striker) strapped on, but do occasionally carry an alloy 1911, or one of my other Sigs with an alloy frame. It's the weight...I'm 73 now, and I belt carry in an OWB holster 99% of the time and just don't like the add'l sag that an all steel gun adds to the day's chores. That's the Sig 365 in the pic below in one of my holsters....YMMv Rod

Last edited:
Aluminum alloy framed guns are neither fish nor fowl for me. They were designed as a lighter, cheaper alternative to steel and before plastics came on the scene were a viable option.

But they have downsides. In my view they are ugly. The frame and slide colors never match, plus tend to be thicker and bulkier than steel. And between steel, aluminum, and plastic have the shortest life expectancy.

I like several of the classic steel framed guns such as the 1911 and BHP. But given the option of an alloy framed gun and plastic I'll take plastic every time. Plastic does everything alloy was intended to do and does it better. Plastic is not only cheaper and lighter, but much more durable.

I find no difference in accuracy all things being equal. Most of the plastic framed guns have heavy DAO triggers that make shooting them with great accuracy a little more challenging. But it can be done, and not all plastic framed guns have heavy triggers. The Sig 320 series, some Smith M&P's and even the Ruger plastic guns have quite light trigger pulls. And they make plastic framed guns with exposed hammers with much nicer triggers.

There is more to recoil reduction than weight. I find my G21 in 45 ACP to be softer shooting than my much heavier 1911's. You get some frame flex during recoil with plastic guns plus the wider grip and grip angle soaks up recoil much better.

As like anything else it is all personal preference. I have metal and poly pistols and dig both and shoot both well.

I am getting to the point I want to have only one 45 pistol eventually and when I do that I am keeping my HK45 and selling my SIG 1911 and SIG P220 though they are both terrific pistols. In 9MM I will always have metal frame and poly frame pistols with poly frame my choice for for CCW being my Gen 2 Glock 19 and Walther PPS.

Kind of the odd guy out, here, ALL my handguns have either steel or AL alloy frames. No plastic. And, my striker fired pistol is a Luger! :D

I have no concerns about durability, they are all going to outlast me.

I have no problem with plastic (and polymer IS plastic) I just don't have any because none of the designs appeals to me. I've shot them, I don't care for them especially Glock designs.

The reduction in weight plastic offers is of no concern to me, other than as a slight negative.

I like a pistol with some heft to it. Though I could live with the Desert Eagle being a little lighter. ;)

Always remember that in the absolute worst case, when EVERYTHING goes wrong, your defensive pistol is an impact weapon. IF that rare and unlikely event ever comes to pass in my life, I want something with a bit of weight to hit with. ;)

Kind of the odd guy out, here, ALL my handguns have either steel or AL alloy frames. No plastic. And, my striker fired pistol is a Luger! :D

I have no concerns about durability, they are all going to outlast me.

I have no problem with plastic (and polymer IS plastic) I just don't have any because none of the designs appeals to me. I've shot them, I don't care for them especially Glock designs.

The reduction in weight plastic offers is of no concern to me, other than as a slight negative.

I like a pistol with some heft to it. Though I could live with the Desert Eagle being a little lighter. ;)

Always remember that in the absolute worst case, when EVERYTHING goes wrong, your defensive pistol is an impact weapon. IF that rare and unlikely event ever comes to pass in my life, I want something with a bit of weight to hit with. ;)

The muzzle end of the pistol, steel frame or poly frame, can always be used as an impact weapon. The slide is still steel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The only steel frame pistol I have is the Zastava M70 and it's the right size and weight for a steel frame, but I've handled the Ruger Mark pistols, S&W Victory, some full size 1911's and they're just ridiculously heavy. Add to that weight, I don't feel SAO or DA/SA triggers improve my shooting vs a striker and most steel frame pistols are either SAO or DA/SA.

To me the benefits of a DA/SA trigger are it's safe to carry with the hammer down, safety off and it also has a second strike ability if the first whack doesn't ignite the primer. Even with the SA trigger not being as good as a striker trigger IMO, it's still a good system for carrying a gun, just not in a steel frame pistol.

I really wish more companies would look at what Springfield did with their XD-E and do that for their guns.

SAO to me is near useless in today's world. It's best practical use today is maybe in small pocket pistols in calibers .32 and under as the trigger does allow very fast shooting due to the good reset. Beretta 950's fall into this category, with .25 at a close distance you want to pump out as much lead as possible.

If more steel framed guns had a striker trigger, it'd be something I'd check out. So far all I know is Kahr makes such a gun, but they're a DAO trigger and that doesn't appeal to me much.

Thus, the only pistols I'm buying in steel in the future are those that are chambered in something that interests me, like 7.62x25. If I could get 7.62x25 in a polymer pistol, I'd do it, but when you can get a Yugo Zastava or a Romanian Tok for $250, why not? The Taurus PT92 is also on my list, but I think that's an alloy frame, not steel. Whatever it is, it's an interesting gun to me and worth checking out.

Beyond those two pistols, steel frames don't interest me.

nanney1 said:
Most recently, I rented a CZ 75C with a decocker - it was either a P01 or a PCR. I was just ok/average in DA but right on target in SA.

I have a competition pistol on the way that is DA/SA and now I’m thinking that I need more of these heavier pistols

As TunnelRat noted, the CZ you shot had an alloy frame. There is also a steel-framed version of that size CZ too, called the CZ-75B Compact (capital "C"). That model has a frame mounted safety rather than a decocker, and can be carried and started from cocked & locked -- or from hammer down, which gives a longer and heavier first trigger pull, but lighter shorter pulls for all following shots.

The CZ you shot had a decocker, and the DA first shot from that gun starts from (and decocks to) the half-cock notch, which gives you a slightly lighter and shorter DA trigger pull than the steel framed model offers, but the rest of the trigger pulls are like the steel-framed model -- shorter and lighter than the first trigger pull. (The steel-framed version can also carried and started safely with the hammer on the half-cock notch just like the alloy-framed models. Like most newer gun designs, these CZs have a firing pin block mechanism which won't let the firing pin or striker move forward unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. That makes them drop-safe, too.

A gun's weight with Browning Short Recoil Locked Breech (BSRLB) guns -- which is the vast majority of semi-autos shooting 9mm or higher calibers -- can affect recoil but has almost no effect on accuracy.

That's because the bullet leaves the barrel before the barrel/slide has moved more than 1/10th of an inch to the rear. With such a small amount of slide/barrel travel, only only a small amount of recoil can be transferred to the frame for the first or following shots. Once the bullet is gone, the rest of the recoil is transferred to the frame. So there's almost no barrel rise until after the bullet is gone. (That shouldn't affect accuracy, in any event, as it would theoretically rise the same amount with each shot.) That means a heavier or lighter gun doesn't recoil much differently until AFTER the bullet is gone. (With revolvers or fixed barrel guns, the weight of the frame does affect things, as the barrel starts to rise as soon as the bullet begins to move down the barrel.)

That said, a heavier frame will move less in recoil than a lighter framed version of the same gun, so the shooter can often get the gun back on target just a a little bit quicker. It may be more pleasant to shoot, too.

If you're shooting heavier hammer-fired guns better than lighter striker-fired guns, its likely NOT due to the heavier weight or the DA/SA triggers of those guns, but to other things about those guns that help them tbe more accurate in your hands -- how well the gun fits your hand(s), whether they have better sights, better trigger, sor better slide/frame lockup.

One of the advantages of most striker-fired guns is that the first and following shots all have the same trigger pull, while any hammer-fired gun that isn't single-action only, has a different first trigger pull (which is DA) and the following SA shots.

Keep trying different guns, and you may find something that your really like, but don't believe that weight or action type (striker vs hammer) along are what causes some guns to do better in your hands.

Last edited:
Mike38 said:
Steel Frame pistols ….. you mean, there are pistol frames made out of something other than steel?

Sure. Aluminum. Aluminum and polymer, polymer only, and maybe even pot metal.

I have guns that have steel frames, some with alloy frames, some with alloy top of the frame frame and a connected polymer grip frame, polymer frames with embedded steel inserts to hold the slide and action in the proper positions, and once owned a Ruger P95 that had a polymer frame without steel inserts.

I think some of the cheapest handguns may even have frames made from alloys of zinc and lead., but they're generally smaller caliber weapons.

Last edited:
The muzzle end of the pistol, steel frame or poly frame, can always be used as an impact weapon. The slide is still steel.

Sure. But the more mass over all, the greater the impact of the blow, and any part of the pistol is equally useful if tis all steel. By choice, in that desperate situation, I think I'd prefer to use the pistol butt, but I'm aware I may not have the option of choice,,,

What's the downside to steel?? Ok, it can rust. So you take care of it. It's heavy..ok put on your (imaginary) Viking helmet, and GROW STRONGER! :D:rolleyes:

Carry what ever makes you happy and what you can use well enough. My choice probably isn't right for you, nor yours for me. Its all good as long as we're both happy.

Merry Christmas!

Sure. But the more mass over all, the greater the impact of the blow, and any part of the pistol is equally useful if tis all steel. By choice, in that desperate situation, I think I'd prefer to use the pistol butt, but I'm aware I may not have the option of choice,,,

What's the downside to steel?? Ok, it can rust. So you take care of it. It's heavy..ok put on your (imaginary) Viking helmet, and GROW STRONGER! :D:rolleyes:

Carry what ever makes you happy and what you can use well enough. My choice probably isn't right for you, nor yours for me. Its all good as long as we're both happy.

Merry Christmas!

I think jabs forward are a better choice than trying to use the butt (especially on a compact pistol), but that's me. This is all assuming shooting from a retention position isn't an option.

I feel pretty happy and I didn't say you should change what you carry. I was simply pointing out that even with a polymer frame a pistol can be used as an impact weapon. I own pistols with frames of all materials mentioned here, the blasphemy I know. I switch between my Viking helmet and my beret [emoji6].

Have a crazy Kwanzaa!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back