Stat's legitimacy?

Rob Pincus

The Jsutice Files show on Discovery Channel is running a show on Vigilante's this evening. They just showed a stat as a bump to a commercial:

There are 12,000 handgun killings each year, only 250 of then are ruled justifiable"

Now, first of all, where do they get the 12,000 number?
Secondly, we have had almost a dozen justifiable shootings in middle Tennessee that I know of this year already, I find it hard to believe that we have 5% of the justifiable handgun homicides within 100 miles of my house.

Does anyone have accurate stats, or better yet, know where they can be found online?

I haven't found any current ones since '95. The "accepted" stats are the FBI stats and I haven't seen the last few years.

I can only speculate as to why:
The '94 stats had around 35,000 firearm related deaths....18,000 were suicides, around 2000 were accidents, the rest included police shootings of BG, BG on BG and BG on GG. When dissected, gun related deaths to innocent victims weren't that high (ca. 3700-4000)

Here's a stat - one of the kind that "they" conveniently overlook when demonizing GUNS as a "epidemic": In 1995, 90,000 people died from INFECTIONS received while in hospitals. I also saw one recently, also from legal and medical sources, which estimates that "accidents and mistakes" in hospitals kill roughly 500,000 every year. This may or may not include mistakes with pharmaceutical drugs, whose death-rate is in itself much higher than so-called gun-deaths. HYPOCRITES.

[This message has been edited by Herr Glockner (edited 11-23-98).]

Negligent acts of the medical professional which result in the patient's death are known as iatrogenic (sic) deaths. If the medical profession were to give us something else, how about another Dr. Richard Gatling?

Back