States where short barreled AOWs are legal?

MeekAndMild

Does anyone have a list of states where short barreled AOWs are banned? I read that Alabama was one of those states, which is odd because machine guns are legal there.

I mean an "All Other Weapons" which happens to be either a short barreled rifle or short barreled shotgun or a pistol with a shoulder stock. Surely there is a database somewhere which lists what sort of AOWs are legal in what states?

"I mean an "All Other Weapons" which happens to be either a short barreled rifle or short barreled shotgun or a pistol with a shoulder stock."

None of your "happens to be" examples are AOWs. An AOW is something like a pen gun, a pistol with a VFG, or an operational briefcase setup. Your examples are SBR/S's.

OK, thanks for the correction. I'm not current with the terminology. It is pretty scary to think how ignorant the general American public could be if an old gun nut like me didn't know.

Thanks for the link, Hkmp5sd. That answeres a lot of questions.

Short barrel Thompsons

Howdy all, I'm new to the group since I have to spend most of my time on IowaCarry.Org to get Iowa shall issue but I found this board and it looked pretty neat.
I don't know if this person will still be around but I was looking thru the Firing Line archives and saw a post by danbrew. He posted "Keep in mind that some states that prohibit machine guns have no problems what so ever with short barrel rifles". I have a 1927A1 that I would like to put a 16 inch barrel on but Iowa doesn't permit sbr, full auto, etc. I was just wondering where danbrew got his info from. It would be great if it were true but each county sheriff has control over gun permits and if permitted, silencers, short barrels, etc. I'd sure like to know if short barrels were no big deal.
Hangfire44

AOW stands for ""Any Other Weapon"... AOW's are concealable weapons that are NOT handguns... such as pen guns, cane guns, belt buckle guns and SMOOTH-bore pistols...

rkba_net, AOW's are also

Any pistol with a PERMANENTLY attatched vertical foregrip as was mentioned above...They can have a rifled bore, or be smoothe bore...
Still 2 Many Choices!?

I have a 1927A1 that I would like to put a 16 inch barrel on but Iowa doesn't permit sbr, full auto, etc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but according to my reading of the NFA Act the Feds define an NFA rifle as one with a barrel of less than 16 inches or an over all length less than 26 inches.

He is probably talking about a <16" barrel. The 1928A1 submachinegun has a 10.5" barrel. The modern manufactured semi-auto 1927A1 has a 16" barrel which makes it look stupid. Some folks register it a SBR and put a short barrel on it.

Back